Creating your own dreamy background .... using the blur motion filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating your own dreamy background .... using the blur motion filter

These backgrounds that come into our mailboxes for a price are easy to make yourself from your own photos. Take a look at your digital photos and choose photos that have some definition and contrast, either colour or light or both. You are going to use the motion blur filter so you need some distinctive lines or colour in the photo for the filter to grab onto. For instance a sand texture may not be a good choice unless it has light and shadow. These backgrounds can be a great place to use some of those photos that catch your attention but don’t make a great composition or are a bit blurry.

Create a 12 inch x 12 inch page …. 300 ppi …. 3600 pixels square so you have a full page for your background…
    Step 1 … choose and size your photo … use curves or levels is you want to pop the colour/light/shadows.
    Step 2 ….create a duplicate image … this is extremely important … you are using a destructive technique so want an original to start again if need be and it will save as a copy so no danger of overwriting your original image
    Step 3 …. Fun time … filter …. Blur … motion blur …. Play with the angle and distance adjustments until you get something you like as a texture
    Step 4 … Save your texture… these textures can be very useful as overlays so you want to make sure you save it.
    Step 4 …. Run the blur filter again and play with the angle/distance adjustments until your page starts to soften …. You may have to do this several times depending on what you started with. I have had to do it 4 times for some of mine. The more lines in your texture page the more you will probably have to rerun the filter. You can also bring the pixel count on the distance adjustment down now because your original photo lines are gone.
    Step 5 …. Save your softened, blurred background.
    Now you can create all your own beautiful backgrounds and overlay textures from your own photos … even from photos you will use on your page. Have fun !!!!
    Don’t forget to post and send me both the texture and background pages if you want them included in the handout at the end of June … June 30 is the last date for me to get them.

Here are two more examples ... the first uses light and the second uses light and shadow

Comment

• Glyn
      Glyn commented
      Editing a comment
      Great inspriation Sue.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!! If I do no other challenges this month, I'm definitely going to do this one Thanks for coming up with it, Sue xx

Comment

Wow, I never knew how to do that, I just had a play and made 4 from some of my scrap layouts, what a cool idea! Thanks Sue!! I will be back later with the ones I want to post.

Comment

Sue, when we do the second part of the process, from step 4 onwards, do we use the photo in its original state, or work from a copy of textured version? I can't seem to get any changes happening after I've done the texturing process.

Comment

• Sue C
          Sue C commented
          Editing a comment
          use your filtered copy .... are you keeping your stripes etc or is it becoming blurred and smooth ? .... maybe your first filter was soft to begin with ? .... if you want you can send me a copy and I can take a look ... I'll send you my email address

Sue, love the beautiful dreamy backgrounds you created!

My Just Art Gallery

Comment

Thank you Sue for hosting another great challenge idea!
          Save

Comment

merci pour ce tuto...je vais bien m'amuser je crois dans les jours à venir !!!
            Merci verse ce tuto ... je vais bien m'amuser je crois dans les jours à venir!!!
            Sorry for my bad english!

Comment

• Sue C
              Sue C commented
              Editing a comment
              how pretty ... and your welcome

• Glyn
              Glyn commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! Very vibrant.

Wow! This is so awesome! I definitely have to play!

Comment

Here's one... I actually did two, but have uploaded 3 other pages to the gallery today and shouldn't have really added this one too. But if I don't I may forget.

Comment

• Sue C
                Sue C commented
                Editing a comment
                interesting combination of colours ... great grungy background

• Glyn
                Glyn commented
                Editing a comment
                These pretty flowers have blended together well.

• cats4jan
                cats4jan commented
                Editing a comment
                I really like the way this one blurred.

Oh my goodness, I learned this years back and forgot all about it!!! Actually, I kinda like some of the stripe ones and would stop there!!
              [/URL]

Comment

• Sue C
                Sue C commented
                Editing a comment
                This is a case where you can have both ....

Sue, thank you for the fun challenge and the tutorial.

Hydrangea

Wave
              Last edited by Grace; 06-04-2017, 05:44 AM.

My Just Art Gallery

Comment

• Sue C
                Sue C commented
                Editing a comment
                these are awesome Grace

• Glyn
                Glyn commented
                Editing a comment
                These turned out beautifully Grace.

Hi thanks for the challenge, here is mine

Comment

• Sue C
                Sue C commented
                Editing a comment
                love the greens

• Glyn
                Glyn commented
                Editing a comment
                Great colours!

What a great challenge Sue! I'm going to have fun trying this. It could become a problem and take over all my time this month..... so much for getting the bedroom painted and the mulch put down. ;-)

Comment

• Sue C
                Sue C commented
                Editing a comment
                lol ... I'm happy to help ... anytime

my try... I kind of like it

Comment

Working...
              X