6. April Quote Challenge Haiku

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
This month's quote challenge is Haiku, a form of Japanese poetry.

The basic definition of Haiku is a three line poem where the 1st and 3rd lines are 5 syllables and the 2nd line is 7 syllables. The traditional haiku is about nature and usually refers to a season of the year.

You may write your own Haiku. See Kenn Nesbitt's Poetry 4 kids.com
https://www.poetry4kids.com/lessons/how-to-write-a-haiku/

How to Write a Haiku Poem wiki How
https://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Haiku-Poem

Matsuo Basho is considered the most famous Haiku poet of all times. Other famous Haiku poets are Yosa Buson, Kobayashi Issa, Masaoka Shiki, and NatsumeSoseki.

You may write your own Haiku poem or use your favorite Haiku poem or use one of the following Haiku poems:

An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again
Matsuo Basho

So many things
they call into my thought -
cherry blossoms!
Matsuo Basho

In the twilight rain
these brilliant-hued hibiscus -
A lovely sunset
Matsuo Basho

The sky I see
seems full of
magnolia blossoms
Natsume Soseki

What a strange thing!
to be alive
beneath cherry blossoms.
Kobayashi Issa

In spring rain
a pretty girl
yawning.
Kobayashi Issa

Besides the mountain path,
somehow so appealing,
violets in bloom.
Matsuo Basho

Cherry blossoms are falling -
and now between the trees,
a temple appears.
Yosa Buson

Yellow mums, white mums -
as for me, I crave a red
chrysanthemum too!
Masaoka Shiki

Blowing from the west
Fallen leaves gather
In the east.
Yosa Buson

A breeze from Fuji
transported on a fan - an
Edo souvenir
Matsuo Basho

It seems as if
this must be the end of it -
such a spring snow!
Kobayashi Issa

Please include the name of this challenge April Quote on your title and upload your pages to the Monthly Challenges Gallery and post a link back in this thread.

I am looking forward to seeing your pages.

Here is a page I made using a Haiku by Matsuo Basho:

Last edited:

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Thank you for hosting this challenge Grace. As always, great research on the subject. Loving this!!

:-26

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Mary, love the beautiful blending and the gorgeous Asian scene you created for the Haiku on your fabulous page. Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge. Congrats on the GSO!

Last edited:

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Rosie, love your gorgeous art doll and the beautiful hibiscus and beautiful Asian background and the wonderful Haiku on your fabulous page. Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge. Congrats on the GSO!

A-M

Challenge Host
What a great challenge this is. I used to write a little bit of poetry years ago but not in this format so I will have a try and come back sometime this month with a page and a poem.

Last edited:

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Kathy, love the fun and beautiful scene you created for the Haiku with the pretty cat yawning in the rain. I have used my two GSOs for today but this page will be a GSO tomorrow. Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Anne-Marie, I'm glad that you will give the Haiku poem a try. I've seen a few pages in the Just Art Gallery where members have written their own Haiku.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Anita, love the gorgeous image you created and the gorgeous cherry blossoms and the wonderful Haiku on your fabulous page! Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge. Congrats on the GSO!

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Barb, the wonderful Haiku is beautifully illustrated--love the beautiful headdress on the image and the font you used on the Haiku on your gorgeous page. Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Karen, the clouds above the Vancouver skyline is perfect for the Haiku--the clouds do look like magnolia blossoms--on your gorgeous page! Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Sherry, love the gorgeous scene you created for the wonderful Haiku--the frog in the pond and the masked photo of the frog are perfect! Thank you for joining in this month's quote challenge.