QUESTION Best replacement for CraftArtist

SassyJ9

Hi all!

I was very into digital scrapbooking and was fluent with CA2, but circumstances in life had me stepping away for a number of years. I want to get back into it, but I am on a different computer and I have no way to access the software. Does anyone have a suggestion for something good that will take its place without being overly expensive or difficult to learn? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Janine

Robyn

Administrator
Staff member
I like Photoshop, mainly because I'm used to it, but it is expensive and has a lot of stuff in there that you don't need for scrapbooking and/or digital art.

We have many members here who have used CA2 (and still do). Some of them have moved on to other programs and I am sure they will be able to offer you suggestions as to what you might now consider as a replacement program.

nemla

love a challenging challenge
Challenge Host - June
Photo shop Elements ,with out a doubt. It has everything you need for scrap booking ,at a fairly reasonable price, also you own this software...not sure if you can download a free trail,but you can definitely download a free trial of Photoshop it self, though that is more complex than elements,so perhaps try a free software like GIMP first. It is very similar to elements.
Serif the makers of CraftArtist replaced it with Affinity. I think they do a free trail....? Problem is that if you want the same features that CA had,you need 2 Softwares Affinity photo,and Affinity Designer. And then it becomes the same price as Elements (more actually).
A side note. If you contact Serif ,and you have your codes still it is possible they can help you ...regarding CA re'dowoad...
There is a thread here at Just Art somewhere for a free Craft Artist . It is not a Serif supported site.
Have fun ,good luck, if you need help,there are users of most software programmes here.
Eileen (HSA) designs for My Memoirs suite.... that may be an option too, though I know very little about it.

Last edited:

SassyJ9

Thank you! I was able to get Photoshop through my work, so that was easy! Now I just need to learn to use it. LOL! Thank you ladies so much! Do you have any suggestions on basic tutorials or classes?

nemla

Challenge Host - June
Adobe it self has a slew of tutorials, and they are for all different levels of users...
Design cuts ( a shop ) also has a ton of free tutorials, and you get a free welcome gift ( a big one ) Click on Learn on their home page, then start scrooling LoL...Check out Anna Aspens and Julie Mead there , they also have tutorials on their websites ( blogs? ) apart from at Design Cuts.
Many products on DC are for procreate, they are NOT compatible with Photoshop , so don't get those, But maybe watch a few because the method is similar.

Last edited:

Angela Toucan

I've moved from Craft Artist to Affinity Publisher with Designer and Photo last year. They had a special 50% off deal on during the first Lockdown, and have repeated their offer this lockdown.

Rosie

Wildlife Warrior
Challenge Host - June
I still use Craft Artist a lot of the time simply because it is quick and easy. But I use Affinity Designer as well. I mostly use it for painting but you can most certainly make pages with it too. As it is also by Serif it seems more familiar than Photoshop.

Kakleidesigns

Premier Senior Member
Challenge Host - June
I used lots of different software through many, many years and Photoshop is the best for me. ( I started with Paint shop pro which is also a very good alternative. But this was more than 15 years ago) I will recommend you to search on Youtube for Photoshop tutorials, I don't know which version you have, but if you have the newest one which is 2021, there are plenty of tutorials in Adobe and even more on Youtube, and they can be applied to every version.

Maria1956

I also was wondering which would be an equivalent replacement that i can use digikits and png's together with same benefits as ca such as generate pallet and cut out studio. . I am a card maker and like ca template page sizes. Its so easy, you know what will be printed out where. I cant understand why ca finished.

Robyn

Administrator
Staff member
We have a lot of members here who have used or are still using CA. I'm sure they will be able to offer their thoughts on this.

Rosie

Wildlife Warrior
Challenge Host - June
I also was wondering which would be an equivalent replacement that i can use digikits and png's together with same benefits as ca such as generate pallet and cut out studio. . I am a card maker and like ca template page sizes. Its so easy, you know what will be printed out where. I cant understand why ca finished.
Unfortunately, digikits will only work in Craft Artist. To use them in other programs you will have to save each element and paper as a new PNG or JPEG. This is very time consuming as you can imagine. I keep nagging at Serif to rethink their attitude on creating a new version of Craft Artist but it is falling on deaf ears. They are only interested now in the professional market and not in "hobbyists" (their words not mine) or card makers. I am sure there is software out there that you can use to make cards but I don't know if they are anything like CA. I still use CA for many things but it is possible to use Affinity to make pages. If you need any help just let me know.

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
I still use CA. I have other programs but I always go back to CA for most things I want to do.
I shall continue to use CA until it no longer works.

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - June
I also us CA mostly I find it quick and easier to use than photoshop I am learning photoshop but very slowly.

nemla

Challenge Host - June
@Maria1956 Digikits ( from Serif ) are a pain in the backside because they can ( as @Rosie pointed out further up in this thread ) only be used in CA. Anything you buy now please do not use the digikit converter. Or if you do ,have an original unconverted version saved somewhere else.
Just take the elements and papers into the program via the Photo tap . Everything will still work, and if CA stops working one day, you still have your kits. Otherwise you have to do what Rosie says and save everything 1 by 1 as a PNG.
Or alternatively there is a way to "break open " the kits, but it does not work with all of them, and that also takes time.
LINK TO MY DROPBOX
I wrote a tutorial on how to do that when Daisytrail closed There is a link to that above. But it is not ideal, The digikit creator saves everything 5 - 7 times so every element gets unlocked in differet sizes and versions. That is why Digikits are so enormous, and take up so much space.
For now just hope and pray it keeps working...... I hardly use it anymore, ( I use mainly Photoshop Elements now , it is easy to make cards in that too, I do it all the time.) lots of people have switched slowly ( like me ) But CA is no doubt the easiest to use.
As far as I know they (Serif) scrapped CA because it it would take to much Effort to rewrite the code, so it could be compatible with newer versions of Windows ,and they were Launching the Affinity suite at the time. But it is naughty of Serif to use the word "HOBBYISTS" in that way , since CA was probably what put them on the map in the first place. That was their 1 very visible software in the marketplace at the time.
Still "them is the breaks " ..And I went wayyyy of track.....

Last edited: