Can anyone help me with Photoshop Creative Cloud?

Rose Thorn

Due to computer problems, it was necessary for me to upgrade, and, in so doing, I was "forced" to give up my beloved installed PSCS5 for the CC version which includes Lightroom.. I am struggling with it and wondered if anyone might have tips for me (when I watch the tutorials, I fall asleep :(). I have two immediate questions:

1. Is it necessary for me to add my photos to my cloud storage before I use it in either Lightroom or Photoshop?
    1. A. If not, then how do I clear my view of photos in Lightroom? and, how do I close a file in Photoshop without exiting the program?
  2. Any suggestions on how best to learn the differences between what I am use to in CS5 versus whatever is new or greatly different in CC?

kabrak1207

Esteemed Senior Member
I use Photoshop CC and I don't load anything to my Cloud storage. . .I do everything from my EHD's. I am really new to Lightroom. . .I have used Photoshop for years and have had Lightroom, but just recently started playing with it. Think of Lightroom as another program. . .it isn't absolutely imperative that you use it with Photoshop. I used it last weekend after a photoshoot with my granddaughter to do a mass change of the photo exposures. Not sure what you mean about clearing views of photos. . .I use things from my EHD and load folders into Lightroom as I need them. In my mind I do think I'm working from those folders.

It has been so long since I had CS6 I really can't advise on #2. But the way I learn new software is to just use it. . .most things will be the same, but if I find something I can't figure out, I use Google to look it up.

Rose Thorn

I use Photoshop CC and I don't load anything to my Cloud storage. . .I do everything from my EHD's. I am really new to Lightroom. . .I have used Photoshop for years and have had Lightroom, but just recently started playing with it. Think of Lightroom as another program. . .it isn't absolutely imperative that you use it with Photoshop. I used it last weekend after a photoshoot with my granddaughter to do a mass change of the photo exposures. Not sure what you mean about clearing views of photos. . .I use things from my EHD and load folders into Lightroom as I need them. In my mind I do think I'm working from those folders.

It has been so long since I had CS6 I really can't advise on #2. But the way I learn new software is to just use it. . .most things will be the same, but if I find something I can't figure out, I use Google to look it up.
Thank you for replying, kabrak1207. From what I've gleaned from the tutorial of Lightroom, when you "load images" into Lightroom, you are actually uploading them to the cloud (so, don't fool yourself into thinking that you're only affecting your stored images on your EHD. So, from your response, I'm guessing there is no direct editing from one's own personal storage of files, this would explain your not understanding of what I meant by clearing your view...I was referring to the images that display in a strip at the bottom of the work area (it displays the contents of your folder).
I too learn new software by diving in and watchin a few tutorials, here and there, but I've been impatient and cranky, of late, and was hoping to find how best to spend my time learning the new features only. If the tutorials are too basic, chances are I already know it and I'll promptly fall asleep. :(

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
I don’t upload any photos to the cloud and I can access them in photoshop by using the open command or the place command.

I’m still learning photoshop so maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
I am the same Rose I am still learning photoshop...I dont use lightroom or upload to cloud as Wendy has said before me ...maybe someone else will answer you questions there is a help in photoshop or as Kabrak said try Google..xxx

Ursula

Esteemed Senior Member
There are two Lightroom versions, Lightroom and Lightroom classic. I use Lightroom classic only and all my photos and the retouching I am doing in LR are on my external HDs.
I believe the Lightroom is cloud-based.

Patricia

Premier Senior Member
If you work on a laptop or desktop then you should use Lightroom CLASSIC! You can do much more and it is NOT cloudbased. You can sync with the cloud if you need to.. but then you have to make collections and click a button to sync.
Here are really short tutorials to give you an idea: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/tutorials.html

Lightroom is cloudbased and you use it on an tablet...
Here are tutorials about Lightroom: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/tutorials.html

The tutorials are not too long and will show you the difference between both versions.

Last edited: