CHIT CHAT CHIT CHAT ... so what shall we talk about ? June.

My southern daughter-in-aw, from Alabama, they can turn a 1 sylable word into 4 sylables and they do! Imagine her living in Asia when my Army son got sent over there ... I could only imagine those poor souls trying to understand her when us northerners had trouble!
English and Spanish are the two most widely used business languages in the world, with Mandarin coming close to the same line. But I can travel thanks to my English language training and understand what is written. The most difficult thing is the discussion, we are never safe from a linguistic “false friend”!
One last anecdote: A week before my daughter enters the 3rd year of osteopathy, I suggest that she go to Spain (in Catalonia precisely) and I make her promise to speak and translate since she has learned Spanish during his schooling and with good results, apparently. I don't know this language at all. I had a wonderful week with my daughter but I never heard her say a single sentence in Spanish! I had to get by with my English! The Spanish are charming and patient people! As for my daughter, she is a very popular osteopath who ONLY speaks French! Never seen! 😂

Sherry, that's amazing that your washer is 47 years old! The last time I had a new dishwasher installed, the installer said that new appliances are not made to last a long time. So much going on with you--your health, garage mess, PC, etc. Hope things get better for you soon--especially your health.
JA7
Interesting, I also focused on the age of your washing machine! I've lost count on how many washing machines I've needed to replace in less time that (cars too :rolleyes:). Here's hoping, it makes it through for you! And as for the stinky clothes, I don't know if this will work or not but I've heard adding a cup of white vinegar to your washer load can do wonders for your washing.

Washers! It must be catching as mine conked out just before my visitors arrived. I have been without one for a week now and another will pass before the new set arrives. The other annoying thing is as we have to stack our machines we have to buy both the washer and dryer as the old dryer will not fit on top of the new one. Doubles the price tag. Oh well... it's only money :-11

• Laugh
Reactions: Ev
Washers! It must be catching as mine conked out just before my visitors arrived. I have been without one for a week now and another will pass before the new set arrives. The other annoying thing is as we have to stack our machines we have to buy both the washer and dryer as the old dryer will not fit on top of the new one. Doubles the price tag. Oh well... it's only money :-11
It is awful having laundry pile up because of this, isn't it? Wow sorry about the extra expense for you having to replace whole set. Mine sit side by side and the dryer was just replaced about 2 years ago. But you know, these new appliances just don't last!

I may still have to get a new washer. Last attempt at removing odor from the clothes that had been in it wasn't completely successful. I've cleaned the washer as best I could with some tabs made for that, then ran a cycle of just water with oxiclean. At this point I can't tell if the odor is trapped in the clothes (going to get some of Downy's Rinse & Refresh to try) or if the odor is lurking in the machine somewhere.

Interesting, I also focused on the age of your washing machine! I've lost count on how many washing machines I've needed to replace in less time that (cars too :rolleyes:). Here's hoping, it makes it through for you! And as for the stinky clothes, I don't know if this will work or not but I've heard adding a cup of white vinegar to your washer load can do wonders for your washing.
Thanks for the tip. Tried cleaning the washer with tabs made for that and afterwards running a cycle with just water and oxiclean. Washed the clothes again (3rd time!) with detergent and oxiclean and I think there is still a slight odor. But then, at this point, the odor might just be stuck in my nose? Going to try another round of machine cleaner to see if it is the machine, then do a small batch using your tip and try to see if the odor is trapped in the clothes or the machine. Also going to buy some of Downy's Rinse and Refresh. Naturally, some of my favorite things were in the load that smelled!

What a chaotic mess! Cousins were to arrive Sunday June 2. First the plane was late to board, then it sat on the runway. Finally passengers were taken off tickets refunded. New plane, all boarded ready to go. Food is past it's safety zone so the fight is now cancelled. Earliest the airline can get them on a flight is Weds. 5. Mad dash to new airline to try to for a different flight and extension to holiday as 2 days wasted in London. Now arriving tomorrow Tuesday... we hope.
All my meals and itinerary out the door.. new ones made to accommodate the new dates.
Fingers crossed.
Sure hope it all worked out with your visit. Such a pain when you've planned so carefully only to have it fall apart.

Sherry, is it possible for you to air your clothes outside? I don't know what the weather is where you live or if you have a backyard and a place to air out your clothes--especially your favorite ones.

In Australia, generally speaking, we tend to look at things differently when it comes to drying clothes. Probably 90+% of people always dry their clothes on an outside clothes line. I have a dryer which I very rarely use, and then probably only after a prolonged spell of wet days. I think that generally speaking dryers wreck your clothes and to me clothes out of a dryer never smell fresh or nice.

I can't remember the last time I used the dryer and it's so old now that I don't think I'd trust it. It needs throwing it out but I won't replace it. We mainly use a clothes line outside but I also have a line inside the garage for when the weather is uncooperative.

@SherryD, @Robyn @Julia
re visitors: Everything has a silver lining. The days missed by the relatives due to plane troubles were rainy and miserable. They have had sunshine and warm weather so far and looks like it will continue.
Now to get my washer and dryer installed to get the laundry done. I have been to the laundromat twice now. Not my favourite place to spend time.
As to outside drying... I had those growing up but my townhouse complex has rules against any clothes drying outside.. even if it is on your own balcony.

We have been away at our summer place for a week now. Our daughter came up with her three year old and the three month old twins for a long weekend, plus a high school friend of hers. We had a great visit and good weather (finally) but I was wiped by the time they all went home! So glad there were lots of hands to pass the babies around when they got fussy.

It is awful having laundry pile up because of this, isn't it? Wow sorry about the extra expense for you having to replace whole set. Mine sit side by side and the dryer was just replaced about 2 years ago. But you know, these new appliances just don't last!

I may still have to get a new washer. Last attempt at removing odor from the clothes that had been in it wasn't completely successful. I've cleaned the washer as best I could with some tabs made for that, then ran a cycle of just water with oxiclean. At this point I can't tell if the odor is trapped in the clothes (going to get some of Downy's Rinse & Refresh to try) or if the odor is lurking in the machine somewhere.
I've lost track - what type of washer?

We have been away at our summer place for a week now. Our daughter came up with her three year old and the three month old twins for a long weekend, plus a high school friend of hers. We had a great visit and good weather (finally) but I was wiped by the time they all went home! So glad there were lots of hands to pass the babies around when they got fussy.
OMGosh does she have her hands full!♥ And I know you were wiped out ~ I remember twin babies

Back