Coronavirus

Megsmum

As an ex nurse I would like to highlight without worrying people. This is not a virus that simply affects the elderly and those with underlying health issue. A 21 year old died with no other issues, many in their 30s and 40s. It is incumbent on everyone to keep themselves and others safe. I normally live in spain where currently the toll is at 600 a a day. I felt safer there than here in the U.K. because people actually do as they are told. My grandson and I go out for a walk and we pass no one if we see someone we cross the road. All foods are delivered etc. Stay safe everyone and please tell your families this really is about more than the elderly etc this is about. EVERYONE

Last edited:

Anita

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host - April
Right now I'm trying to book a delivery slot from the supermarket. There are 119246 people ahead of me in the queue and waiting time estimated over an hour, and even if and when I get to book a slot I'm sure it will be weeks away!
An estimated hour doesn't seem long enough for all those people ..i think it may take a little while LONGER ;)..hope you get some food Barb ♥

Rosie

Ethereal Enigma
Challenge Host - April
We got told it would be 3 weeks online to deliver it's a nightmare Barb.xxx
That's awful Mary. The delay time here is about a week. Not too bad at all considering 😢
As an ex nurse I would like to highlight without worrying people. This is not a virus that simply affects the elderly and those with underlying health issue. A 21 year old died with no other issues, many in thier 30s and 40s. It is incumbent on everyone to keep themselves and others safe. I normally love in spain where currently the toll is at 600 a a day. I felt safer their than here in the U.K. because people actually do as they are told. My grandson and I go out for a walk and we pass no one if we see someone we cross the road. All foods are delivered etc. Stay safe everyone and please tell your families this really is abot more than the elderly etc this is about. EVERYONE
It was a huge mistake saying that the elderly were most at risk. In the first place, this does not mean that younger people cannot get the virus. In the second place, it encouraged many of them not to take it seriously or realise that they could transmit it to family members while remaining asymptomatic. I wish people would think before they make statements like that.

Pekarokiki

Esteemed Senior Member
England, Wales, don't know about Ireland seem to be doing much, much more for their people than over here in the oh-so-wealthy US! Good for them. Same here with closures - dr offices, call first and if an appt is deemed necessary they will come out to the parking lot to get you "triaged" in; WalMart is bringing out rx to your car; there is nothing like your rescue pack over here; no follow-up for me with my eyes; thyroid investigation; lung dr ... I'm gonna start self medicating with Drambuie ;) ALL OF Y'ALL TAKE CARE ♥
My brother in law is a GP in Oneida and that's what he has been telling us - about putting the protective clothing on and seeing and testing the patient in the parking lot. Testing doesn't seem to be happening much at all here and today on one of the community groups a young girl was asking advice as her father is 8 days in with the virus and very poorly, breathing difficulties and he also has diabetes..... the advice from the powers that be here is to call our 111 NHS advice service but obviously at present the waiting time for them is endless so, people were telling her to just dial 999 for an ambulance.....apparently she eventually got through and paramedics came and assessed him.... they were told that he wasn't 'severe' enough and would need to stay home, at present they are only taking patients who are gasping for breath :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Blackthorne

My daughter who works at a Doctors surgery ...has not gone to work today ....she has been up all night ..with shivers and chills and 'flu symptoms...I am very anxious...she said she felt a bit better this morning..My fingers and everything is crossed...I feel so helpless .....
Oh my Gosh, Anita - That would frighten me too if someone in my family would catch a flu !
My precious grandkids are just 2 and 3 1/2 yrs. old.
Has your daughter been tested ?

JodyT

Premier Senior Member
I know of course that our health is THE most important thing, but on another note, we are seeing our life savings (in an investment portfolio) just go into free fall. Our losses are already into six figures and it's going to get much, much worse. Given our age, I doubt if we will recover these loses in our lifetime. :(
I had a bit of a laugh when a finance expert on TV the other day said "don't panic, the finances will come back, you just have to wait, time will mend" .... umm one wonders how long, we dont have forever anymore. Fine for the young ones.

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Challenge Host - April
There are just not enough test kits manufactured anywhere I don't think! There is so much advice about washing hands etc. but you can't buy hand sanitizer or disposable gloves and they are not likely to be available in the foreseeable future. Hospitals etc. can't get enough supplies. I fear that our fragile world as we know it is collapsing. Hugs to you all, I just hope we can all survive what is to come.

Anita

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host - April
There are just not enough test kits manufactured anywhere I don't think! There is so much advice about washing hands etc. but you can't buy hand sanitizer or disposable gloves and they are not likely to be available in the foreseeable future. Hospitals etc. can't get enough supplies. I fear that our fragile world as we know it is collapsing. Hugs to you all, I just hope we can all survive what is to come.
Hear Hear !..me too xx

Pekarokiki

Esteemed Senior Member
And then you get company’s like an online shopping clothes store ISawItFirst, yesterday my daughter had a message spend so much and receive free hand sanitiser 😱 they are out there but just too much greed, these should be given directly to the health services along with the protective equipment that people are selling for extortionate prices.....surely the governments could demand them to give these items up, much the same as WW1 and WW2 where they commandeered properties and animals etc
We were told that washing up liquid/dish soap was as effective if not more than hand wash and I think we’ll all end up making our own sanitiser for personal use when outside....has anybody tried making their own?

Anita

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host - April
And then you get company’s like an online shopping clothes store ISawItFirst, yesterday my daughter had a message spend so much and receive free hand sanitiser 😱 they are out there but just too much greed, these should be given directly to the health services along with the protective equipment that people are selling for extortionate prices.....surely the governments could demand them to give these items up, much the same as WW1 and WW2 where they commandeered properties and animals etc
We were told that washing up liquid/dish soap was as effective if not more than hand wash and I think we’ll all end up making our own sanitiser for personal use when outside....has anybody tried making their own?
Soap is supposed to be better....one nurse told me ....

Pekarokiki

Esteemed Senior Member
She is ok thank you Karen...it's weird she has something different happening everyday..her taste and smell has gone now...and she feels very tired.....
Fingers crossed Anita that it’s not too bad.....are you all checking in on the COVID Sympton Checker app each day? I’ve been doing it but not sure how relevant it is. Thinking of you all and hope your daughter is ok ❤❤❤