Feb 2016 Creative Tutorial | Using the Magic Wand

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
Hi everyone! After a less than subtle hint from Kim (LOL!! only kiddin' ;)), I thought I would host a fun challenge using the Magic Wand tutorial I posted yesterday!

Here is the link to the tutorial: https://forum.justartscrapbooking.com/forum/tips-techniques-and-tutorials/22219-pse-tutorial-|-using-the-magic-wand-creatively

You know you all want to try this!! :-28 Well I hope you do!! Let's have some fun and get our paints and scissors out!

Now this can be as artsy as you like, or not, the main things to remember are that you are not trying to get an exact likeness of the subject, rather an abstract image. Any type of photo can be used, landscape, structural etc etc. just experiment and see what you come up with, that is half the fun, finding something that works for you! and please HOLLER if you need a hand with anything!

Here is the layout I created this morning, using the tutorial........ the ONLY thing I did differently was use CTRL+J (duplicate) instead of Ctrl+C copy/CTRL+V paste when 'cutting out' the pieces of the photo to put onto separate layers. If anyone wants me to post a screen shot of the layers on my PSD file just let me know :)

Last edited:

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
This is the original photo by the way:

This is an example of what I mean about getting some tonal variations in your photo when using the Levels or Curves adjustment after you have desaturated it. One of puppies having a swim the other day :) But see how in the first photo there isn't a lot of variations in the tones, its either dark or light............. the second photo has more tonal variations so the magic want will pick up those pixels with the same tone, giving you more layers to clip paper to later on.

Last edited:

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
I have to do this ... great challenge .. will be back when I find a photo I want to use :)

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
'oooooh' says she rubbing her hands together!! :) Looking forward to seeing your page Sue :)

Last edited:

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - September
Ona, thank you for the great tutorial and hosting this fun challenge!

Elk Fan

Esteemed Senior Member
Well here is my try. I use PSE 12 and it doesn't have all the settings that you mentioned but I did the best I could.

Last edited:

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
Sherry what a fun page! I have PSE 10, 11 and 14.......... lol, skipped out on 12 and 13 :) This tut was written using PSE10............ so I am interested to learn what settings were not there for you to use? But you certainly got through the tutorial and did an amazing page!! So happy that you tried it out! :)

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Excellent! That for posting this challenge Ona. It looks GREAT!!

KimR.

Administrator and Supreme Senior Member
Staff member
Challenge Host - September
wombat146;n22282 said:
Hi everyone! After a less than subtle hint from Kim (LOL!! only kiddin' ;)), I thought I would host a fun challenge using the Magic Wand tutorial I posted yesterday!
:-7

You are excellent at taking {subtle} hints, Ona! Thank you so much, I'll definitely play this weekend!

:-17

Sandy

Esteemed Senior Member
Ok, Ona! I gave it a whirl today! I found that doing a full face might have been a bit harder as I couldn't get the glasses but then I thought just leave them. And what about the teeth and mouth? Oh the choices! lol Had to fudge some lashes... not to good at that but it is what it is! It was a lot of fun!

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
Well I think you did fabulously Sandy! It is YOUR art! and with this style anything goes! you can do as much or as little as you like. Love the colours you chose! very artistic and creative!

Diane's Art

Esteemed Senior Member
Ona, thank you again for an awesome challenge! I love learning new techniques! I had a great time blending papers and elements to my photo. The photo is different from yours, but I love how the layout turned out.

Elk Fan

Esteemed Senior Member
The only thing that I see available for the magic wand in PSE 12 is add to selection, brush size, refine edge, sample all layers and auto-enhance. Can anyone tell me where to look for the tolerance, anti-alias and contiguous?

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
Here we go .... not as colourful as some but the vintage mime's image called for monochrome ... I ended up using the separate layer and masks to refine each layer because the differences in the shadows wasn't big enough to make it easy for PSE to pick out... thank you for hosting this challenge, I think we will be seeing more pages with this treatment as time goes on

Veronika

Supreme Senior Member
Ona - thank you so much for this tutorial. It is so very creative and give me so much input!
I used many many layers and clipping masks - and different blendings and play with different opacitys
.Here comes my result :

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
oooooooooooooh ladies!! you are all so FABULOUS and creative!!! just LOOK at these wonderful pages while I was gone! :) off to leave some love on your pages, but just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for joining in.............. sometimes its hard to break out of our own little comfort zone to try something new...........sometimes you discover a new technique that becomes a favourtie while other times it's not something you will use again.......... the main thing is that we try new stuff! so thank you for sharing your art with me! :)