Feb Quote Challenge Vincent van Gogh

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - July
Vincent Willem van Gogh was a Dutch post-impressionist painter and is considered the greatest Dutch painter after Rembrandt. His masterpieces are known for the use of color, unique brush strokes and emotions. I have seen his amazing paintings at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, Musee d’Orsay and Louvre in Paris, and the Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cezanne and Beyond exhibition at the deYoung Museum in San Francisco. The DeYoung was the only museum in North America to host the Post- Impressionist Masterpieces from the Musee d’Orsay exhibition in North America.

You can use your favorite Vincent van Gogh quote or use one of the following quotes:

Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.

I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.

I dream of painting and then I paint my dreams.

Looking at the stars always makes me dream.

The way to know life is to love many things.

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

One must work and dare if one really wants to live.

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?

A good picture is equivalent to a good deed.

Please upload your page to the Monthly Challenges gallery and post a link back in this thread.

I am looking forward to seeing your pages.

Here is a page I made using “I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day” quote.

Edited February 1 2016 to include link for public domain images for paintings by Vincent van Gogh.

Wikimedia Commons is an excellent source for public domain images. Here's the link for Vincent van Gogh
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_Gogh
If you do use public domain images in your pages/layouts, it should be credited so there is no question as to copyright issues.

Last edited:

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Challenge Host - July
What a fabulous collection of quotes Grace.............great choice in Vincent van Gogh.

Thank you for hosting this challenge.

Ursula

Esteemed Senior Member
Love Van Gogh, About 3 years ago I have seen an exhibition of his paintings. It was wonderful and I purchased a big book with his paintings.

KimR.

Administrator and Supreme Senior Member
Staff member
Challenge Host - July
Thank you for the great challenge, Grace, I'm thinking...

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - July
Wikimedia Commons is an excellent source for public domain images. Here's the link for Vincent van Gogh. If you do use public domain images in your pages/layouts, it should be credited so there is no question as to copyright issues.

I am going to edit Post #1 to include the link for public domain images for paintings by Vincent van Gogh.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - July
Ursula, I also purchased the magnificient exhibition book. The Van Gogh, Gaugin,Cezanne, and Beyond book is large and heavy.

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
Oh Oh Oh Oh ... Vincent is my favourite artist of all time ... we had a gallery of his painting here in Ottawa about 5 years ago and I was in tears ... there were two of his smaller paintings still with his signature on them ... I leaned forward to get as close as I could because that is something unusual in these old paintings .. they get stolen and reframed and the signatures are very often cut off as they are reframed .... when I leaned forward I swear he was right there at my shoulder looking with me ... I felt him only for a second but we connected .. so eerie .. it was so hard to go through the rest of the show without looking like a crazy lady :)

NancyP

Esteemed Senior Member
What a fun challenge! Looking through his painting, I was fascinated by all his shoe paintings. Someone even wrote a book called The Shoes of van Gogh but what I really loved was the article I found written by Martin Heidegger after he had seen the shoe paintings at a museum.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - July
Nancy, love your fabulous and beautiful van Gogh's Shoes page--the shoes and text are fascinating! Thank you for participating in this month's quote challenge.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - July
Sue, thanks for sharing your memorable time at the gallery. Huge difference in seeing a masterpiece up close and personal than seeing a copy in a book or on the web.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - July
Kay, love the gold frame on the magnificient Sunflowers painting and the quote. The watercolor brushes and van Gogh treatment are fabulous. Thank you for participating in this month's quote challenge.