How do I navigate around the forum?

Robyn

Administrator
Staff member
Challenge Host - February
Are you confused about how to navigate around the forum? Do you feel you are missing out on new posts and information? You just don't always see the new stuff!

Many members are used to a VBulletin forum and Photopost gallery, and indeed this site was originally built on these two programs. The gallery and forum are now built on the XenForo program and this program offers many options in navigation.

Hopefully you will find the graphics below helpful.

Many members find it difficult to wade through posts to find out what are new posts and what aren't. Quite often new posts are missed because you don't want to waste time searching through the various categories. You DON'T have to do that. XenForo offers many options. I will explain some of these options below.

So first off, let's talk about NEW POSTS.

1. Once you are logged in, typically this is part of a page you will see when you first go the main forum page.

site nav tutorial 01.png

2. There are several ways you can access new posts. Click on the little right side downward facing arrow in WHAT'S NEW to get the drop down box.

PLEASE NOTE: If you just click on the What's new button (and NOT on the drop down arrow) you will still get the same options, just spread across the top of the page (as shown in No. 3 image).

site nav tutorial 02.png

3. So you have clicked on New posts and this is an example of what you will see.

site nav tutorial 03.png

NOTE: If you don't actually need to read all the new posts be sure to remember to MARK FORUMS READ otherwise these posts will keep popping up as new posts.

4. Let's have a look and see what other options are on the What's new drop down menu.

site nav tutorial 04.png

5. For a complete list of everything that is happening on the site, click on LATEST ACTIVITY and you will see something like this. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on SHOW OLDER ITEMS you can basically go back in time as far as you want or need to.

site nav tutorial 05.png

DeLoris

Rusty Woman
Are you confused about how to navigate around the forum? Do you feel you are missing out on new posts and information? You just don't always see the new stuff!

Many members are used to a VBulletin forum and Photopost gallery, and indeed this site was originally built on those two programs. The gallery and forum are now built on the XenForo program and this program offers many options in navigation.

Hopefully you will find the graphics below helpful.

First off, many members find it difficult to wade through posts to find out what are new posts and what aren't. Quite often new posts are missed because you don't want to waste time searching through the various categories. You DON'T have to do that. XenForo offers many options. I have explained some of those options below.

First off, let's talk about NEW POSTS.

1. Once you are logged in, typically this is part of a page you will see when you first go the main forum page.

View attachment 195092

2. There are several ways you can access new posts. Click on the little right side downward facing arrow in WHAT'S NEW to get the drop down box.

PLEASE NOTE: If you just click on the What's new button (and NOT on the drop down arrow) you will still get the same options, just spread across the top of the page (as shown in No. 3 image).

View attachment 195093

3. So you have clicked on New posts and this is an example of what you will see.

View attachment 195094

4. Let's have a look and see what other options are on the What's new drop down menu.

View attachment 195095

5. For a complete list of everything that is happening on the site, click on LATEST ACTIVITY and you will see something like this. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on SHOW OLDER ITEMS you can basically go back in time as far as you want or need to.

View attachment 195096
Thank you so much for the information. WOW, that had to take some time to put together. Great job!

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Robyn, thanks for the fabulous and detailed tutorial! I agree with DeLoris that it was time consuming for you to put together this information.

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Awesome turorial that should now be easier for those that did not know how to navigate around the forum ...this must have taken you ages Robyn.xxx

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
I just had to take a look at this when I saw it above the messages ... great job Robyn, it must have taken some time to do .. thank you for everything you do for the site ... I think it may have surpassed your vision of it :)