CHALLENGES January Altered Photo Challenge

DeLoris

Rusty Woman
Challenge Host - January
This month it is going to be a little challenging. We are going to make SNOW! Select a winter photo without snow falling, so you can add it to your photo.
I am working in Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements.

*For Paint Shop Pro: Open a blank file. Add your photo and resize to what you want. Close your original image.
Add a layer and fill black.
Add noise. Select Random and Monochrome. Make it around 50.
Add a Gaussian Blur around 2
Go to Adjust, Brightness and Contrast, Threshold. Select around 20 (or what looks good to you).
Right click on the layer and in Properties, change the the blending mose from Normal to Screen.
If there is too much or too little snow, go back and make your Threshold setting to a lower or higher number.
Repeat changing the blending mode from Normal to Screen.
Save your file.

*For Photoshop Elements: *I don't know Photoshop that well, but if you do, hopefully, you will be able to do this.
Open a new image and add your photo. Resize it to what you want. Close out your original image.
Add a layer and fill your layer with Black.
Filter, Add Noise, Noise. Check Uniform and Monochromatic. Set to 50.
Filter, Blur, Gaussian Blur. Set to 5
Go to Filter, Adjustments, Thresholds. Move the slider to around 37 (or what looks good to you).
Above your layers, change the blending mode from Normal to Screen.
If there is too much or too little snow, go back and make your Threshold setting to a lower or higher number.
Repeat changing the blending mode from Normal to Screen.
Save your file.

For both programs: You can leave the snow over the whole layer or have it just covering your photo.

Post your finished results in the Altered Photo Gallery and then back here. I will leave comments in the Gallery only.
Have fun!

My Results:

Last edited by a moderator:

Robyn

Administrator
Staff member
Great idea DeLoris and such a lovely sample page! Thank you for hosting.

:-26

Pups_r_Paps

What an easy way to add snow to your photo!! My pup appreciated it because she didn't have to go out in that cold stuff. In fact, I photoshopped her onto my snow covered patio (notice there are no puppy footprints) because I couldn't get her to walk in the snow.

Lididee

What a fun and easy to follow tutorial, DeLoris. I really enjoyed creating snow and I shall be using that technique again, for sure so thank you! Here's my page. That's my grandson mesmerized by the loads of snow on a tree the day after a snowfall.