• by Betty Jo

by Ria

by Magnolia57

by Pups_r_Paps

January Progressive challenge

Kakleidesigns

Challenge Host - January
Hi and welcome to a new progressive challenge, I hope you enjoy it!
Step1
Open a transparent or canvas no bigger than 600x 600 pixels and add soft color and start writing with different fonts, it doesn't matter what you write,
you can copy a text, some lyrics, or just some sentences you like. (I recommend you use black color to write)
Once is filled and accommodated, we are going to export it as a pattern.
Look at my screen capture here:
Now, we can try how it looks, open a transparent canvas with a soft color, and in a new layer fill with your new pattern.
You can add a stroke of 1 pixel in black to accentuate.
Upload as step 1 to the temporary gallery HERE and also show your step 1 in this thread.

Attention is OK just to save the paper as JPG and in big size, if that helps...whatever is easier for you is absolutely fine.

Step2

Now, let's repeat this process but this time use a white background, change and mix fonts with brushes and other shapes, play with it, and save your second pattern. (You can save as JPG or PNG as a regular paper to use again)
Now, again try how it looks, open a transparent canvas with a soft color, and in a new layer fill with your new pattern.
You can add a stroke of 1 pixel in black to accentuate.
Upload step 2 to the temporary gallery HERE and also show your step 2 in this thread.
(Don't kill me, is the last step making a pattern)

Step 3

Now, open a paper, not a pattern one, with texture but I don't recommend you to use a busy paper this time.
Use your lasso tool, and select a part close to the top (in a wavy way, not perfect) and open a new layer and name it TOP and paint it in black
Repeat this step but close to the bottom and name it Bottom.
Don't merge yet.
Upload step 3 to the temporary gallery HERE and also show your step 3 in this thread.

Step 4

Now step into the background layer and place your image and make it cover the whole center of the page. (of course, the image should be in a new layer)
If you want to add effects to your image, do it before you place it.
Now, paint your top layer with one of your patterns and the bottom with the 2nd one that we created in step 1 or 2.
Add shadows on each of the pattern layers.
You can play with the blend mode so your photo gets the texture from the background.
Don't merge yet!
Upload step 4 to the temporary gallery HERE and also show your step 4 in this thread.

Step 5

Add embellishments on the top, bottom, center and beneath each layer, make small clusters, you can add some brushes or overlays to your image layer.
Save as final page, your Collage Page (this is what we were doing) is ready, you can upload it to the Progressive challenge category now.

In another style, you can add torn papers, use different blending and even stack patterns or papers, and add a torn edge to increase the effect...I hope you enjoyed this challenge and you can apply some of what you learn here to make some ART COLLAGE PAGES!

:-c :-48

Last edited:

Anita

Esteemed Senior Member
Karen is this just for Photoshop ?..no pattern maker in Craft Artist and I only have an old Photoshop elements ...is it in there ? ♥♥

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
Karen is this just for Photoshop ?..no pattern maker in Craft Artist and I only have an old Photoshop elements ...is it in there ? ♥♥
Do you have Define Pattern in your Ellements? That’s what you use to make a pattern once you have your image.

TruusF

The tekst is a poem in the dialect from Groningen, (the northern part of the Netherlands where I was born) , about the beauty of this dialect. I turned it sideways, because the people of Groningen are known for their stubbornness and always are contrarian.

Kakleidesigns

Challenge Host - January
OH I see you figured it out, I am so sorry Anita, but when you create your papers in the craft Artist, how do you do them?
Is OK just to create a paper without importing it as a pattern if that helps?

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - January
Thank you for the step one Karen this will have to do as I am totally confused..xxx
My Fonts and Brushes to step two.
My Step two.
Step three.

Last edited:

Kakleidesigns

Challenge Host - January
Every step from everyone is perfect, please do not lose your hair about this, imagine you are creating a paper with writing and saving it as JPG or PNG to use it later, that's all...don't import or export anything, just save the paper in your computer since you are going to need it later.