• Suggest a palette for our end of year members' kit HERE.  Suggestions to be submitted by Tuesday 19th please.

Marianne's deconstructing posts part three: Deconstructing High tide - the layout

Margje

Esteemed Senior Member
Hello all, here I am with the last part of the High tides page! And we are going to take off, where we finished in the second part.
Note: I have made this page again because I deleted the PSD file, It has been a while since I made it so it will not be exactly the same! But the techniques will!
This page is made with Anna Aspnes supplies. But you can make it with any other products and your own photo. Ofcourse every photo is different and therefore you might need to have other blendingmodes and settings on your page! Remember this is only a deconstruction of how I did this page! There are many ways to do things in photoshop that lead to the same result!
We are going to open a new scrapbook document 3600px by 3600px with a white background. (I do this because I often blend my backgroundpaper with this first layer). Even if I use a colored paper with textures, I simply give this first layer that other color then.
Open your merged composite layer! We finished with all the layers and the composite on top so if you didn’t save this as one JPEG do so!
Drag the photo into the new document, and copy the photo 4 more times. To be safe I copy them many times to have the photo on the same spot as we are going to clip things to masks!
Click on the eyeball on the left of the 4 layers, so we don’t see them anymore! Only the top one is visible! ( I do this standard because if you are going to clip things you can’t see the result if the under lying layers are visible)
It should look like this!

As you see the photo is very small! I had the idea to let parts of the photo spill out under my photoframe. I need to create more photo for that. This photo can perfectly be duplicated and rotated for this effect. So we select copy 2 and we are going to flip it horizontal.
Go to Edit-Transform-Flip Horizontal

Position the layer so that it makes one photo! Don’t mind some double parts, we are going to place a photo with frame over it! Select both layers-Go to layer and- Merge layers.
You can’t do this with every photo, but you would be surprised with how many you can!

Now we are going to clip 2 masks to this doubled photo layer. We need to duplicate this layer one more time! The same trick as before! Hide the view of the second layer. Open your clipping mask! Try to use some interesting ones. Different opacities in the mask works better when you use multiple masks! (Otherwise there will be nothing to blend), You can see in my example that the black on the masks is not as thick everywhere, that is the look that we are after! (I sometimes use up to ten or more clippingmasks,even brushes,splatters,texst etc) All clipped on that same spot because you layered copies of the photo! Its really interesting to experiment with this technique! Afterwords you can use different blendingmodes too! So cool! But here I just was after a bit of spill from the photo under the coming photo and frame! Important place your mask under the photo and then go to Layer- Create Clipping Mask! Select and view the other photo and do the same, just use another mask! If you are pretty sure you are going to use it like this you can merge down. I sometimes keep the layers like this to be able to move the photolayer in a later stage!

Now we are going to make our upper photo with frame! Select and view photocopy 3 (the small one) and place it on top of your layers. Ctrl click on the layer to select that layer. Go to Edit- Stroke. Make White your foreground color. Fil in the amount of the stroke in the toolbox. I used 20 px. (You can also use a frame from your designer)

Now we are going to ad a drop shadow. Click on the FX and go to Drop Shadow! Make your settings in the Toolbox! Look where the light comes from in your photo and select a shadow color! (I almost never use black) Position your photoframe layer so that the lines look good and fllows the underlying layer!

Make some Gaussian blur from your photocopy 4! The amount of blur and the opacity on the layer, and the blendingmode will depend on your photo and layout ofcourse! It’s so great yo have the colors from your photo blurred! So much you can do with it! You can make copies and layer them under and over your photo! I use it a lot! Go to Filter- Blur- Gaussian blur! Fill in the amount of blur in the toolbox! Don’t forget to name your layer!

Ad a Blendingmode and you can play with the opacity! You can always change this later when you have your backgroundpaper and brushes etc in place! You can rotate them also!

Place your brushes! Here I used some walltextures! I almost always use a Color Overlay to color my brushes. I think you get a better fill when your brushes have different opacities in them. Also it is great to see right away on your screen what the color looks like, and you can pick up a color with your color pipet to match your photo. Go to FX- Color Overlay! If you want to paint on a Color Overlay layer after you used the Color Overlay, you have to rasterize that layer first!

Pick a color from the photo! You can also adjust the blendingmode with this tool!

Build up your page with a background paper! (Mine was blended with the bottomlayer!) Brushes that you can layer under and over the photo. Fill them with color! I used all kind of brushes here! The Wall textures duplicated and rotated, Decor stamps that I colored white also used multiple times, Doily brushes that I gave several styles. When you want to do more styles then one you can rasterize that layer and use another one! I gave them some bevel and some outer glow! I placed some Hipster Plume Korners N Edges brushes and created a kind of frame with them! I placed some wordart brushes. I placed some elements (all from ArtPlay Palette Beach) and I typed some text. Also some splatters came on top of the page! I resized all the layers a bit. Just select them all and transform them together holding shift!
I Placed a solid paper over all the layers and blended some color in with Color Burn Blendmode! Placed some textures for a bit of structure. I played with duplicates of my gaussian blur layers. I made a composite layer of the layout! Remember? It was Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E on a top selected layer.
And at this point I duplicated the layer and I used Multiply Blending Mode in a very low opacity to enhance the colors a bit!
After merging I did my post processing work. Some sharpening and Dodge and Burn work. Then I saved the layout.

Barb

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host - November
Thank you Marianne for all your hard work especially at this time. Here is my take on your page, created in Craft Artist.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Marianne, thank you very much for sharing your detailed work process and for the step-by-step instructions and print screens. I thank you too for all your hard work at this time.

Rosie

Supreme Senior Member
Thank you so much Marianne for the hard work especially when you have so much to cope with. I did this in CraftArtist as I do not have PS. I hope it is OK. xxx

Attempt number two. xxxx

Last edited:

Anita

Esteemed Senior Member

Tried to copy the layers as best I could in Craft Artist..... tried the Gausian blurs and masking etc. Thanks Marianne ..very interesting ♥

Ursula

Esteemed Senior Member
Thank you so much, Marianne, for sharing your work process. My image was not the best for doing the rotation, but I wanted to try this and later on I will do it with another photo.

Margje

Esteemed Senior Member
Fantastic Ursula! Love this beautiful page and the result! The edge in the background is just awesome!

gina

Esteemed Senior Member
Thank you so much, Marianne for all your hard work. I played a little around with all your proposals. Here is the result - without using any kit - only the photo, the filters included in Photoshop and some brushes. I'm not happy with it yet but I'll keep trying.

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
I have not forgotten to try this Marianne I am just a bit tied up at the moment.xxx

Margje

Esteemed Senior Member
Don't worry Mary! I know how that go's! i have pretty much at my plate also right now!