• Members' end of year kit.  Please VOTE HERE for the colour and name of your choice.  Voting closes on November 28th.

Marianne's deconstructing posts part two: Deconstructing High tide - the photo!

Margje

Esteemed Senior Member
Marianne's deconstructing posts part two: Deconstructing High tide - the photo editing
I’m back again with a second post about deconstructing my pages.

I’m going to post a couple of posts about the techniques and tools I mostly use! And we will start with some simple steps building up more advanced techniques later!
As I told you my photo’s and the editing of them, take a big role in my pages. The first things that I look at when I have an idea for a photo edit or page are:
-Is this photo sharp enough for the edits I’m going to make on it? The Artistic filters work better on sharp defined lines, so you might need to improve that.
-Is this photo smooth enough and not to sharp? (When you are working on soft, smooth glamorous pages)
-What about the contrast, color, brightness, focus etc? Sometimes you want to change that on the photo first before you run any filters on it! It can make the difference about your whole photo effect!
You get the idea is it the basic work! You need to think about how you can improve the photo for the technique and the layout idea in total, before you get more artsy with it. Now these are steps you can do in many different ways. In photoshop or PSE, with the tools or in Camera Raw, or with other programs like Lightroom or Alienskin Exposure! I have Alienskin Exposure as a plugin so I use this a lot in combination with photoshop tools.
I use the Curves Adjustment Layers a lot to make color and contrast improvements. I will show you with a screenshot as we will sure work with a photo that needs more drama in one of the techniques we will get to!

OK! With all that said we will move on to the first page we are going to deconstruct today! We will work on the photo editing for now and build up the whole page in a second post, that I make in a few days.
Maaike nominated High tides, a perfect page to start with and it is exactly composed as I described in my workpocess before.
High tides:

We will start with a screenshot in Photoshop CC of the photo ready to be edited with the Artistic Filters.This photo is already very artistic but I used some Artistic Filters on it to get more of that effect!

I made a duplicate of the photo and then turned it into a Smart Object! This can’t be done in PSE, but you can still do the edits on normal layers. Just be sure to duplicate your photo first. I use Smart Objects layers to be able to edit the content in a later stadium. (You can always go back and tweak the settings) and to work nondestructive! Just right click on the layer and choose Convert to Smart Object.

Now we will go to Filter- the Filter Gallery and then we choose the top one -Artistic. (Note! Select not the first Filter gallery option as it will only repeat your last filter action! Go tot he third option.
You will see some presets with Artistic Filters then.

Click on Poster Edges! On the right you see some sliders. You can play and adjust the settings to taste! It all depends on your photo and the result you are after. You can resize your view with the + and -buttons on the bottom on the left. If you are happy click on OK! (you can click on the eyeball on the layer to view the before and after! (If you are on a Smart Object Layer you can click on the Filter Effect name under the layer to go in again and change settings at any time)

Now for our second Filter duplicate the layer and again go to Filter- The filter Gallery-Stylize. Again you see some sliders on the right. Adjust them to taste! See what they can do! Try things out! Then click OK!

Rename your layers. The top one Glowing Edges and under that layer the one with Poster Edges. Its always very smart to name all your layers. Super handy and organized!

Now we are going to blend the top layer the one with the Glowing Edges, with the Blending Modes. You can select the layer and then scroll through all the Blending Modes to see the effects. Just select the top one and use your down arrow key to scroll! Find the effect you are after! You can also use the Opacity slider to fine tune the effect.

And now comes the masking part to play! I don’t want to have the whole effect of the Glowing Edges on the photo so I can mask them out and erase them with black paint on the white Layermask. To do that I select the Layermask ( It will have white lines surrounded when its selected) Select the Brush tool and choose a soft black brush with a low opacity. You can now paint the effect out. Play with black and white paint to erase or bring back effect in!

When you are happy you can make a composite layer ( A merge of all your layers.) That is what I do to go on with the layout but still be able to go back to an earlyer version of the photo when things don’t work out for me. Select your top layer. Press Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E to make that merged layer on top of all your other layers.

Ok! the editing from the photo for this layout is done! Only 2 Filters and some masking and blending! A merged layer with all the effects on it on top! Sometimes I duplicate this composite layer again and use another Blending Mode to build up a stronger effect! Or I use a plugin for another artistic effect on a duplicate. And then I would clip another edited photo on a clippingmask under the original. The possibilities are endless!

In a few days on my next post, we are going to build up the whole High tide layout with this photo! For now you can start to try photo’s and the filters and their settings out with this blending and masking technique!

And here is everything again with a different photo, same Filters, different settings and Blending Mode. Just to show you how much different things can be done with the same technique! Here the effect is much more clear and more different then the original!

For PSE you can work with the Filters on duplicates of the original photo, and layer them, with Glowing Edges on top. Create a white Layermask and follow everything as mentioned above!

To be continued!

Last edited:

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - November
Marianne, thank you very much for the detailed instructions and for the screen shots.

wombat146

Premier Senior Member
Fantastic Marianne, love reading about your process! and YES, once you start applying filters and applying different blending modes the possibilities ARE endless! :) I often just play around with photos like you spoke about here and then just save the photo in a folder, ready to be used at a later date. :) Sometimes I will download a kit I know EXACTLY which treated photo I want to use! :)

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
Wow what a lot of trouble you have gone to with this tutorial. So much information to take in - all great - thank you so much. I look forward to the next installment.

Rosie

Supreme Senior Member
Thank you so much for all the work you are putting in to this. I do not have PS but am looking forward to finding a way to achieve similar results using different software. xxxxx

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Thank you Marianne for this amazing tutorial and the time and patience it took you to do it...I am trying to learn PS. this sounds very challenging for me ...I will try my best...xxx

jirsev

Esteemed Senior Member
Thank you so much for all the work you are putting in to this. I have a PSE 12. I'm sure I'll try it. xoxo

Maaike

Thank you so much Marianne! Love reading all this. So much is new to me, I hardly ever change photos but I think I should seeing these great results! Thanks for all the work in to this and your willingness to share your knowledge with us. Can't wait to try myself!

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Marianne I have a question well it had to be me duh :eek:.... others might know as well I am ready to use the brushes on the mask layer but somehow they wont work for me....I know it will be something simple I just cant work it out I have photoshop 14 I select the mask layer and the ants are around the page but nothing happens when I try to use the brush..I am a beginner and have not had a problem following your instructions as they are very clear and easy so it is me who cant work this out I would appreciate any help from other photoshop users as well....Thank you.xxx

Thank you Grace I will have another try.xxx

Evelyn I'm sure your next step will be brilliant. try the top right corner lol.xxx

Last edited:

Evelyn

Esteemed Senior Member
I can't help you Poppy cuz I'm concentrating on your Progressive Scrap and wondering where in the world I'm going to put 3 more photos ...

Margje

Esteemed Senior Member
I made a screenshot after I did the steps in PSE! Hope you can see what's the problem!
Be sure to select the top layer and click on the mask icon The square with the circle on it! That should give you a white mask against your thumbnail! Now select the black brush! and paint on the mask!

Last edited:

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Mary, see Marianne's response and screenshot in post #12 below.
There should not be any ants on the page when you're using the layer mask.
Also be sure that you have selected the brush and not one of the other brushes nestled in with the brushes.

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Thank you for getting back so quickly Marianne I will try it later on I have to pop out now......xxx

Last edited:

Margje

Esteemed Senior Member
Hope you can get this to work! I installed PSE again on my computer to be of help also for future questions! But it has been a while since I worked in it! I opened the file from photoshop in it and rastorised the Smart Object Layers so it still could look different on your screen! Just pay attention to the mask part Mary!

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
Thank you I managed to do it I think my problem was the ants I also had the opacity very low ... it has worked fine now.....xxx

Last edited:

Maaike

Thank you so much, Marianne! I just see this, been awhile since I logged in. Can't wait to try this for myself! Thank you for your clear explanation and screenshots, that will help bunches! And of course thanks for your time and willingness to teach.