My hair color - the story

Evelyn

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host
So, my daughter colored her hair and it's a soft purple and beautiful ... she finally got her long hair cut and it's the best cut she's ever had. That long, thick hair was so unflattering. Her husband wanted her to have long hair - he also wanted her to have red hair, which she did some time ago ... NO to both ... she often makes him change his clothes before she'll go out with him !!! and she let him suggest anything about her hair?? So I bit-the-bullet some weeks ago while talking on the phone told her ... unflattering, get it cut. She was a tad peeved but I said, look - private conversation, no embarrassment and I want you to look your best ♥. Had to laugh - she waited a couple of weeks before she went, didn't want me to think she was acting on my suggestion and she told our gal what I said. It took years off and she's gotten more compliments and she feels good! Then she colored it. Some of you may remember I had streaks put in my hair a couple years ago - pink, blue, purple - but they were very light and didn't last long. SO, I was all over that color but she said - please not purple Mom, I don't want us to be twins!!! I could understand that. She went to that cosmetics store ... haven't been but they all say it's huge ... and had me on the phone. We settled on turquoise BUT I got the full strength paste. Those photos I posted show the results. OMDear ... I looked like a smurf ... iridescent ... I shampooed ... no change ... OMDear! The next day I still hated it. Told my hub he'd have to go over to that store and get me the color removal kit I saw advertised and he'd have to go cuz I wasn't leaving the house til that color was gone. Told him to get me 2 kits. So, directions to diminish the color was my 1st try ... diminish my butt! By now my scalp was chiming in. Next evening the full 2 chemical mix, on for 40 minutes - interesting thing .. no color showed when rinsing it out - no color at all, just that whitish mix - but it did remove the smurf-ette color, just a faint tad here and there left. I wonder about the shampoo color ... maybe to be continued ;)

Kythe

Premier Senior Member
Challenge Host
:-11ha ha you had me laughing to tears. You have gorgeous white, white hair that I envy and you went turquoise! I searched to find the photos you said you posted but can't find them. Oh well lesson learned... maybe until next time...lol:-11

Rosie

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
I am sorry Evelyn but I really liked the hair. It may have been a bit bright but it would have faded. Becky suggested that when I go grey I should do the same. LOL

Last edited:

Evelyn

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host
@Kythe @Robyn ... here's the page I posted here so all my peeps could shake their heads ... Rosie - my suggestion is get a shampoo in color and try it first ... if the color didn't get gone my next move was to shave it off and wear a cap

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
Wow Evelyn you are a hoot and no mistake. Iridescent is the word right enough. My hair is at the salt and pepper stage and I wish it could be like my grandmothers was. She had the whitest hair I've seen, all natural, and it was absolutely beautiful. No dyes for me I'll stick with what nature gives me...:)

Poppy

Supreme Senior Member
What can I say that hasn't already been said you certainly had a gord colour and as i commented on your page I would find you easily enough in the crowd... Thank you Evelyn I think you were very brave to try it and now you have been there and got the teeshirt lol what next I wonder...you rock girl.:-17 xxx

nemla

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host
Sorry mate but......thanks for the laugh :-ione to match ? mind you , you could have started a whole new trend.

Lindsay

Premier Senior Member
😂😂😂😂 what a hoot, you are such a little rascal Evelyn. But I understand. I get a bit crazy with my hair sometimes but I only go for streaks not the full colour. Maybe do it that way if there’s ever a next time lol. My grandmother also had pure white hair and I’m hoping mine will be the same. I have always been blonde but recently had some mahogany streaks put in and I love it. You were lucky it didn’t all fall out with all those chemicals. That would have been a disaster. 🤪😜:eek:

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
okay .... I'm picking myself up from the floor now !! ..... that IS blue lol .... your white hair is beautiful but I can understand why you might want a bit of colour sometimes .... I have gray and have to put up with it because I don't dare use a product on my hair or scalp .... I think this message should be a serial .... "What colour is Evelyn's hair going to be this week?" ... one of my grand girls suggested the jello solution but then another mentioned that I wouldn't want to get caught in the rain as I'd be a sticky mess :) :) ....

Evelyn

Esteemed Senior Member
Challenge Host
😂😂😂😂 what a hoot, you are such a little rascal Evelyn. But I understand. I get a bit crazy with my hair sometimes but I only go for streaks not the full colour. Maybe do it that way if there’s ever a next time lol. My grandmother also had pure white hair and I’m hoping mine will be the same. I have always been blonde but recently had some mahogany streaks put in and I love it. You were lucky it didn’t all fall out with all those chemicals. That would have been a disaster. 🤪😜:eek:
Lindsay ... I think my scalp had that in mind ,,, the falling out bit

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
My daughter Catherine had too many chemical treatments to her hair over a short period and her hair is a train wreck now! Her hair is breaking off everywhere and thinning out and it looks awful!! I hope this doesn't happen to you Evelyn.

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Evelyn, it's fun reading all the comments! I've never colored my hair but if I did, it would be a soft lavender color.

cats4jan

Premier Senior Member
Decided I wanted to go blonde, then tried to go back to my natural brown color.

Dyed it - it faded. Dyed it - it faded... Finally, I gave up and let it grow out. Problem was - I had long hair - so here I am with roots halfway down my head - obvious roots - took a year to grow out, but never tried lightening my hair again.

Then it got gray - dyed it - and dyed it - it got dried out and and I lost interest in dying it.

Let it grow out after 5 years of that awful dye stuff -- now I'm all gray and proud of it - and I actually like the tone of gray I have.

Rose Thorn

What an interesting and fun discussion; thanks for starting it, Evelyn!
My avitar photo at left was taken in 2009, when I had mostly gray hair. Around that time, I tried dying my hair it's natural dark brown, the wash out kind/not permanent, but when I looked in the mirror, I didn't recognize myself, was really weird, so I decided to let it go natural... now, ten years later, it's a lovely silver with the original dark mostly in the back. I actually really like it now but since becoming disabled and getting older, I find myself wanting to be more playful and try new things, but..who knows, I may try purple sometime, I've also thought it would be rather freeing to shave it all off but then, I've heard, that it gets very itchy while growing back. :confused:

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts with you all. :)