CHALLENGES November All The Feels Challenge

BernieTuffs

Challenge Host - December
Hi everybody!
I decided to call my challenges All the Feels as it's something I love about our art and creativity, whether it's digital art, scrapbooking, journaling, poetry, photography, singing and dancing, or something else! We can work through feelings and emotions through our art forms; make political statements about issues that touch us, share our feelings, relive memories and commemorate important events and occasions.

This month will see Guy Fawkes’ Night (Bonfire Night) for us in the UK, Remembrance Sunday, and Thanksgiving for our US friends. The nights are drawing in and Christmas lights are being dusted off. (Apologies if your seasons aren't the same!)

No matter where we live, this month can be a good time to count our blessings, be thankful for our lives, however they are panning out right now, remember those who have gone before us and create our own memories for those coming after us.

Light – good, happiness, hope, shining, life, order, peace, truth, calm, safety…

Dark – bad, sadness, death, despair, hiding, chaos, fear, lies, calm, safety…

Without the darkness, light would not shine as bright…

Darkness can feel comforting for some, scary for others…

With our thoughts of Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night can come excitement for gatherings of family and friends, fireworks, hot drinks and warm gloves…yet also anger at politics of today, thoughts of relatives sent to war by politicians, sadness at ignorance of wildlife, pets and vets harmed by fireworks, fear for others.

With our remembrance can come thoughts of war, suffering, fear and death…yet also pride, gratitude, even happy memories of families reunited and songs of hope.

With our thoughts of Thanksgiving come gratitude, appreciation, happiness for family wellbeing…yet also concern for neighbour, sadness for others' lack, compassion and empathy.

So, I chose the theme of light and dark as it’s so easily interpreted into whatever you’d like to share!
Interpret it as loosely as you like – any thoughts or feelings that bubble up from reading the above, go for it! Share as much or as little of those feelings as you’re comfortable with! And most of all – have fun!

The inspiration for my piece, called Hope Everlasting, was the thought of women…families…waiting for loved ones to return from war, as my Grandmother waited for my Grandad. Hoping they’d stay alive, wondering when they’d return, how they would be, and keeping that hope alive during the darkest days.
Life wasn’t easy for the ones left behind, yet they rarely get a mention even at this time of year. Different trials and suffering, of course, but all part of the same lifetime.

WWII and my dad went to sign up for the RAF. While standing in line, a man was taking out every 10th person – to work down the mine. Dad was one of those selected. He had terrifying experiences there, saw terrible things, but it probably saved his life, given the number of downed planes and dead RAF pilots.

His mother and grandmother never knew whether he would make it home each day. On one day in particular he almost didn’t when one of the cages ended up stuck, suspended above the huge drop to the bottom of the mine shaft. Thankfully that ended well, and the cage didn’t fall.
Keeping hope alive, day after day, can’t have been easy, but it was all they could do.

I hope you enjoy this challenge!

Finally, I have some inspirational quotes as well, to get the creative juices flowing:

“All shadows of clouds the sun cannot hide
Like the moon cannot stop oceanic tide;
But a hidden star can still be smiling
At night’s black spell on darkness, beguiling.”
Munia Khan

“When the Sun of compassion arises darkness evaporates and the singing birds come from nowhere.”
Amit Ray

“Surrounded by darkness yet enfolded in light.”
Alan Brennert

“Most dread the very notion of dark,
Darkness strikes horror in their heart.
Yet darkness gives me a sense of calm,
I feel quite at home when in dark.
Darkness makes me alive,
Darkness gives me flight.
Darkness makes me aware,
Of the tiniest glint of light.
Darkness electrifies my dampened veins,
It pours back my nerves with vigour.
Just when everything seems to fall apart,
The mind awakens with unforeseen power.
So, never try to keep darkness at bay.
Once befriended darkness takes you a long way.”
A Naskar.

“Darkness
Pierces its claws
Into the flesh of the evening,
It’s time to withdraw,
Wrap up, sleep,
Till morning spreads its warm, shiny shawl
To cover up the dark.”
NS Chandra

“I rise because
I know that every wound is an experience;
Light shall enter from that hurt,
And in the milieu, spread fragrance.”
NS Chandra

“There is a part of you I can’t quite forget – where my memories grow flowers and the past outreaches my garden’s gate…”
L Chouette

“To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”
T Campbell

“Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven, blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.”
H W Longfellow

“Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in you or the world, that one song stays the same, just like that moment.”
S Dessen

“The living owe it to those who no longer can speak to tell their story for them.”
C Milosz

“They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.”
Laurence Binyon

“Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day.”
RC Lintner

“Gratitude unlocks the fulness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.”
M Beattie

“Thanksgiving is a joyous invitation to shower the world with love and gratitude.”
AL Mercree

“Be present in all things and thankful for all things.”
Maya Angelou

BernieTuffs_HopeEverlasting_NovChallenge-600p.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nemla

love a challenging challenge
Can I just say ; yeah ! someone else apart from me is using lots of words in a challenge descriptoon.
It sounds amazing. Looking forward to giving it a go ,and to seeing everyone’s pages.
Thanks for hosting.

BernieTuffs

Can I just say ; yeah ! someone else apart from me is using lots of words in a challenge descriptoon.
It sounds amazing. Looking forward to giving it a go ,and to seeing everyone’s pages.
Thanks for hosting.
heehee yup! That's me!! Why use a few words when you can use so many more lol?!!

Looking forward to seeing what you create! xx