November "Stretch your wings" challenge

nightshadow

Premier Senior Member
In honor of the time of year, for this challenge I want you to draw and then paint an Autumn leaf (now you know why it's called a "Stretch your wings" challenge). For those of you who will insist that they "can't draw", it's not necessary for you to draw the leaf from scratch, instead, you can trace a leaf from a photo.

Instructions:
1. Open a photo of a leaf in your program of choice, add a layer and then use your brush or pen tool to trace over the leaf image.

2. When you've finished your tracing, add a new layer and then paint in your leaf colors.

3. After painting your leaf, duplicate the file, save the original and close it.

4. Delete the original photo layer on the duplicated image so your background is completely transparent.

5. Merge your visible layers, then save the painted leaf as either a transparent .png image or save it in .psd (Photoshop) format so you will retain the transparent background... You now have your own original painted leaf.

Note: Since I use PSP 9, I'm not sure of the steps required to do step 5 in Photoshop or other graphics programs, but it's likely that someone else here uses your same program and can help you if you need it.

Now you can use your very own painted leaf in all your Autumn layouts. I hope you will all give this challenge a try. If you've never actually painted your graphics program, you will be amazed to find out what you can do with it. Try it, I think you will like it. :D

Here's my leaf done in Corel Painter using Watercolor (yes, I started with a tracing... ;) ), and what I used the leaf for.

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Thank you Elaina for this 'stretching' challenge!

Ursula

Esteemed Senior Member
My try. Recently I made some photos of fall leafs when hiking with the dogs. I extracted this one some days ago and thought to use it for this challenge.

Sandy

Esteemed Senior Member
You're killing me Elaina! I just came in from cleaning all the leaves up! lol Ok, This sounds like fun!

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
Loving the leaves .... perfect challenge for this time of year .... here's mine ...when I was finished with the digital painting I placed the original leaf on top and used blending modes ... that turned out soooo cool ... this is one of those blending modes ... I may use more of the others in the page :)

KimR.

Administrator and Supreme Senior Member
Staff member
Challenge Host
Here are my leaves--very challenging! I need to practice the outlining to get better--definitely stretched my wings. ;)

And here is my page. I didn't realize I hadn't used the yellow leaf until I went back to my files. DUH!!:-38

Last edited:

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
I like your leaves and the veins are great and the outlining too ... especially on the maple leaf :)

Sandy

Esteemed Senior Member
Here's my take on painting leaves Elaina. I added some pattern also and played with the colors. Not overly happy with the veins but it is what it is. lol It was fun!

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
I don't know why you wouldn't be happy Sandy, I think it looks fabulous!

Oldenmeade

This sounds like such fun - and the results so far have been amazing! I'll be back in a day or so to have a go :)

Grace

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host
Elaina, fun challenge and everyone's painted leaves are fabulous.

Sandy

Esteemed Senior Member
Thanks girlfriend. I'm too much of a realist. I'm trying to work on that! It was fun to go back to my designing days when we did everything from scratch.

Sue C

Esteemed Senior Member
Sandy .. this is beautiful, like a water colour painting .... we sometimes put neon colours under the other colours and it just makes some of the pop and that is what this looks like .. very cool