• Suggest a palette for our end of year members' kit HERE.  Suggestions to be submitted by Tuesday 19th please.

Selective colour projects

Bumblebabe

Could someone please explain how I can make a colour photograph into a selective colour picture. I have an image of a lady in snow holding a lantern, I would like the background black and white and the lantern to remain an amber colour. Is this possible, I'm sure it is, and I'm also sure u daisytrailers have the knowledge to set me in the right direction. Many thanks in anticipation. Bumblebabe x

Lindsay

Premier Senior Member
Hi Bumblebabe, I am not entirely sure how to do this but if I was attempting it. After taking a copy of the original picture I would take the picture into the cutout studio and only keep the lantern I.e. cut everything else out. Then with the picture in black and white I would paste the cut out lantern over the top so only the lantern will be coloured. Hope this is what you mean if not I am sure someone with far more knowledge will be along very shortly with their answer....🤯

Rosie

Supreme Senior Member
Challenge Host - November
Hi Bumblebabe. If you take your photo into photolab in CraftArtist. Select Pro Edit and then HSL. On the HSL part select new mask. Now carefully mask the lantern and then press accept. If you now choose black and white from the options on the left the whole picture will become monochromatic except the masked lantern. If you need any help with this just send me a pm. xxxx

Lindsay

Premier Senior Member
Good Point Robyn. After reading the question again I see that Bumblebabe asked Daisytrailers so I am assuming she is using CraftArtist. I followed my own advice to see if it worked and this is what I came up with. Hope this helps Bumblebabe.

Alfred

Since this thread is in the DaisyTrailers section, I presume we’re talking about CraftArtist. Thanks to PhotoLab, it’s easy to do this in CA2:

1. Select the picture on the CA page
2. Press the ‘PhotoLab’ button on the Context toolbar
3. In PhotoLab, go to ‘Favourites > Lighting’
4. Click on ‘Black and White’
5. In the Trial Zone on the right, click on the Mask brush
6. Click on ‘New Mask’
7. In the Mask Brush settings, change the mode to ‘Protect’
8. Paint over the region whose colour you want to keep
9. Press ‘Accept’ when you’re happy with the result

If you want to edit the mask, go back to the menu (where you chose ‘New Mask’) and choose ‘Edit Mask’. Otherwise, just press ‘OK’ (followed by ‘Yes’ in the confirmation dialog).

Last edited:

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
I didn't even look at what section this thread was in. If I had of done, I would have realised what program! Duh...............

Lindsay

Premier Senior Member
Thank you Alfred. I’m sure I should have known this but somehow I didn’t. Either that or I forgot (most likely)... 🤭

Alfred

Your method with the Cutout Studio worked out very nicely, Lindsay! The thing about CraftArtist is that there are so many ways to achieve similar results.

Bumblebabe

Thanks so much guys I managed it on my second attempt, not sure how but my 1st attempt the rest of the picture was coloured and the lantern was black and white doh!! But I sat myself down and examined what I had done, sure enough I was too excited with ur responses and didn't read it all before I jumped in. But yippee! It is done! And I have ordered it as a canvas print for my mum who loved the result! So thanks so much for ur help, I knew u guys would know how to do it, and thanks for various options of making it like that, it's always handy to have more than one choice. U guys rock! 👍👍😘

Alfred

You probably overlooked the same thing as I did initially: the default Mask Brush setting is 'Select', which means that if you paint over the lantern you select it for becoming black and white. When you choose 'Protect', you protect the painted region against becoming black and white, so the lantern retains its original colour.

Bumblebabe

Many years on Diane and I'm still asking questions!! It's good to know there are still some daisytrailers around who can help. These guys are awesome!