September TYOM Challenge

A-M

Challenge Host - September
Welcome to a brand new challenge. TYOM stands for Traditionally Your Own Memories

This challenge will be for those who are like myself and enjoy creating in the style of more paper realistic digital pages to record memories. I will be asking for the use of your own photos ( or a family member or close friends) - no deep unrealistic shadows - no masking of photos ( this cannot be achieved on a real paper layout so it is not to be used for this challenge) - limited use of brushes only if it gives the impression that it was an ink stamped image. As you create your pages keep in mind if what you are doing can be achieved with physical papers and embellishments so watch out for floating word art it will need to look like it is a sticker, rub-on or rubber stamped. Alphas are good for titles as they can look like cut out or punched out letters.
Definitely use stitching, staples, brads, buttons but keep in mind how you add your shadows to make them look real.
I think the important thing to keep in mind is when choosing an element/embellishment for a realistic style page think " if this were real would I be able to glue, staple, or tape this to a piece of cardstock? "
I am putting together tutorials or sharing links to ones that may help those who have not created digital pages in a more traditional style. You can find the thread where I am doing this HERE

Theme for September: With School resuming recently or soon in the USA our theme for this our first TYOM challenge is School/College/Studies.
Your photos do not have to be old. They can be very new ones but them must be your own ( or family/close friends). I will be very disappointed if I see any photos that have been obtained from the internet as this challenge is about recording OUR memories or a memory of someone we personally know. Please keep in mind this challenge is only for creating Traditional Scrapbook styled pages.
Add your finished pages to the Traditional Scrapping Challenge Gallery HERE or first add to your member gallery and add additional category for the Traditional Gallery. Also add the tag: monthlychallenge

Here is my page:

now to give you an idea of a real paper layout here is one I created for a 8 x 8 album I have put together about my mother:
Sketch-12.jpg

Last edited:

Evelyn

Esteemed Senior Member
what a SUPER challenge, A-M and so well explained, too ... bet you get a bunch of scrapbook pages!

KimR.

Administrator and Supreme Senior Member
Staff member
Challenge Host - September
I have photos of the first day of school this year for my great-nephew and great-nieces to scrap so this will be perfect!

Reactions: A-M

JodyT

Premier Senior Member
Right, although I consider myself a traditional scrapper, I guess I should say a traditional digital scrapper. I have never paper scrapped in my life. Have no idea how you do this, always been a mystery to me. I hope I have created this in the style you want Anne-Marie.

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Right, although I consider myself a traditional scrapper, I guess I should say a traditional digital scrapper. I have never paper scrapped in my life. Have no idea how you do this, always been a mystery to me. I hope I have created this in the style you want Anne-Marie.

Jody, I think for this challenge you have to try and think about how your page would actually translate to a paper scrap rather than a digital scrap. I've never done 'real' scrapping but I'm assuming that you wouldn't stick crayons onto a page, and if you did they wouldn't recede into the background, but lay flat. Please don't think I'm being critical of your page, because I love it, but I'm not sure if it's what Anne-Marie is aiming for in this challenge.

Am I on the right path with this Anne-Marie?

JodyT

Premier Senior Member
Jody, I think for this challenge you have to try and think about how your page would actually translate to a paper scrap rather than a digital scrap. I've never done 'real' scrapping but I'm assuming that you wouldn't stick crayons onto a page, and if you did they wouldn't recede into the background, but lay flat. Please don't think I'm being critical of your page, because I love it, but I'm not sure if it's what Anne-Marie is aiming for in this challenge.

Am I on the right path with this Anne-Marie?
Yes quite true Robyn. Its kind of hard to get your head around .. I though this would be a snap, but you know its not. Might have been easier had we started with paper I guess. I am really enjoying learning something though.

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
I agree Jody, it's quite hard to do this type of scrapping. We have got used to the 'freedom' of digital scrapping.

cats4jan

Premier Senior Member
but I'm assuming that you wouldn't stick crayons onto a page
...but you would buy embellishments that would include pictures of crayons that you could glue to your project. I didn't paper scrap either, but I spent a lot of time in scrapbooking stores looking for things to use on greeting cards. There I saw any number of packages of embellishments that I could glue on my cards. They weren't all 'sticker looking' - what I mean is - they didn't all have a white line around the item...