• Suggest a palette for our end of year members' kit HERE.  Suggestions to be submitted by Tuesday 19th please.

Special Brushes for PS

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
For the artists among us...please view the links below to see a wonderful set of Impressionist Brushes for use with PS.
I am so jealous and frustrated as only having PSE they are no use to me but I know that some of our members do have the full PS and may be interested.

They are on special offer at the moment but for how long I don’t know.
Anyway you can have a look at them and see what you think...

https://create.adobe.com/2019/10/3/free_photoshop_brush.html?trackingid=9WGN43MS&mv=email&fbclid=IwAR2e7P0hmwIVtlJD-Ecix8dQHcQuHUkrnus3vLjJo73gLr33EpTeskMFUYQ

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
You can use those brushes in Elements. I have all her impressionist brushes and the use the pattern stamp tool, which is in Elements. Found wIth the clone stamp

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
In PSE do they work exactly the same way as she shows in her videos for PS Wendy. I was certainly under the impression that they were only compatable for various version of PSCC. If you are correct I would be delighted.

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
I have used them and they seem to be the same as she does it. Haven’t done much with these ones yet though, but all the others are great to use.

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
Hmmm I'm going to have to practice with this. I downloaded the set of free brushes - supposed to be 5 in the set but I only got 2 in the download! So far I can use them as per a normal brush but I have to investigate the pattern thing...interesting...

A-M

Challenge Host - November
@Lillias I have PSE15 on my computer ( but use CS6 for my layouts) and I tried using the clone stamp tool and adding a photo to the define pattern etc like in the instructions and it will work. I did not use the impressionist brushes but played with a brush already in the program so did not get the same effect but I am sure it will work with the impressionist brushes. Be prepared that the free ones are limited though with what you can achieve.

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
I haven’t found the brushes to be limited. They seemed to work just as Jessica explained.

A-M

I haven’t found the brushes to be limited. They seemed to work just as Jessica explained.
What I was implying was that they may not be the exact ones she used in her video so the effect may not be exactly the same.

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
Thank you Anne Marie. Yes the free brushes are very limiting in that I only got 2 in the download and there was supposed to be 5. However having had a play now with those 2 brushes and discovering that when using the Pattern stamp tool PSE does also have the boxes Impressionist and Aligned which require to be checked I was able to get an idea of what they could do.
I tried some of the brushes that come with PSE but they didn’t really work.

On the strength of what I saw I went ahead and purchased her set of Instapressionist Brushes which were supposed to contain 100 brushes in the set but once again my download only contains 48 brushes. I downloaded twice with the same result both times. I’ve no idea why that should be and to be honest I can’t be bothered trying to find out. How defeatist is that!

EDIT:
I’m thinking that maybe some of the brushes really don’t work in PSE and that’s why they are not showing up in the downloads...

Last edited:

WendyP

Premier Senior Member
That’s a shame. I haven’t used these ones yet, so no idea how they will work. The other impressionist brushes all seem to work OK for me though.

Patricia

Premier Senior Member
Yes, you need CC to get them, but I could not DL them directly.. they went to the folder 'your work' in the cloud and I had no way to install or DL them; I could not copy them to my library either..

I found a way around.. I shared them and then copied that link in my browser and then I could DL them...

I think there must be an easier way.. but I'm glad I found this way around...
And for me there were 5 brushes in the free sample.

EDIT: Wendy, I just saw your comment... thank you! this so much easier
I'm so embarrassed that I did not think about clicking on it, I just saw the button at the top...

Last edited:

Ursula

Esteemed Senior Member
When I downloaded the brushes were stored in the folder User - my name and there is a file "Creative Cloud Files" and here are the brushes, 5 brushes.

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
I’ve given up with these now. I’ve tried the Creative Cloud, I’ve tried the Share suggestion which worked for Patricia, I’ve tried every which way I know. The fact is I CAN download the file but it still only shows 2 brushes not 5.

This also does not answer the fact that when I purchased the set of brushes which were supposed to contain 100 brushes I can only see 48. And this download was made from the link they sent me in an email following my purchase so no involvement with Creative Cloud etc; was necessary for those.
I still think it must be something to do with the fact that I only have PSE and not the full PS.

Diane's Art

Esteemed Senior Member
Thank you for the download instructions. It is not compatible with Photoshop CS2 because I just tried it. I was hoping that all abr files were the same across the Photoshop line. Has anyone tried these in a current version of Photoshop Elements? Just curious!

Last edited:

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
Thank you for the download instructions. It is not compatible with Photoshop CS2 because I just tried it. I was hoping that all abr files were the same across the Photoshop line. Has anyone tried these in a current version of Photoshop Elements? Just curious!
I loaded the brushes into PSE 2020 and as I said I could only see 2 brushes in the free download. Those 2 brushes do work as do the brushes I purchased...just don't appear to have the whole 100 brushes that are supposed to be in the set I purchased.

Diane's Art

Esteemed Senior Member
I loaded the brushes into PSE 2020 and as I said I could only see 2 brushes in the free download. Those 2 brushes do work as do the brushes I purchased...just don't appear to have the whole 100 brushes that are supposed to be in the set I purchased.
Lillias, contact Jessica the creator of the brushes. She just e-mailed me recently and said they should work in Elements, but does not have a tutorial on it. We are supposed to try them and contact her.

Lillias

Esteemed Senior Member
Lillias, contact Jessica the creator of the brushes. She just e-mailed me recently and said they should work in Elements, but does not have a tutorial on it. We are supposed to try them and contact her.
That's interesting Diana. Thanks for that info; I have just sent off a message to her so will wait and see what she says. Thanks again.

nemla

Esteemed Senior Member
@Lillias They look amazing. I will be interested in whatever answer you get. I have elements 15 , and like you there were only 2 brushes in the download, and I had the devils own job installing them.