Top 12 Art Software

KimR.

Administrator and Supreme Senior Member
Staff member
Challenge Host - December
Thanks for sharing, Diane. I haven't used any of the software on the list. I believe that Vicki Robinson has used Art Rage. I'll ask her and if she has, I'll ask her to share her thoughts.

I have Art Rage on my iMac and my iPad. It's fun to play with - really meant for drawing/painting. There's a learning curve, but not all that hard. It has layers like Photoshop or PSE and different tools - a water color brush, a paint tube, chalk or something like that, a roller, (there are several) and you can adjust line thickness and the amount of "pressure" when u apply a stroke and several other things. You can import a jpg or a png onto a layer. On your device you can use your finger or a stylus.

I'd suggest trying the demo version on your computer - the tablet/smartphone versions are identical from what I can see. Here are two images I did just to play with the tools.

artrage_4.jpg artrage_5.jpg artrage_3.jpg

Attachments

KimR.

Staff member
Your doodles are so much better than mine! :)

Diane's Art

Esteemed Senior Member
Awesome Vicki! Thank you. Do you use Art Rage in your designing as well?

Vicki-Robinson;n3056 said:
I have Art Rage on my iMac and my iPad. It's fun to play with - really meant for drawing/painting. There's a learning curve, but not all that hard. It has layers like Photoshop or PSE and different tools - a water color brush, a paint tube, chalk or something like that, a roller, (there are several) and you can adjust line thickness and the amount of "pressure" when u apply a stroke and several other things. You can import a jpg or a png onto a layer. On your device you can use your finger or a stylus.

I'd suggest trying the demo version on your computer - the tablet/smartphone versions are identical from what I can see. Here are two images I did just to play with the tools.

Diane, I have used it to make some brushes and I have been experimenting with exporting the files (PSD format) and manipulating in CS. But that's really mostly just curiosity on my part than anything else. I'm such more like to use my physical mixed media art n my digital design work.

Diane's Art;n3065 said:
Awesome Vicki! Thank you. Do you use Art Rage in your designing as well?

nightshadow

Premier Senior Member
Diane's Art;n3048 said:
Here is an article from Sue Chastain for the top drawing and painting software. http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/des...rtsoftware.htm

Has anyone used Art Rage yet? I noticed they have desktop, tablet, and smartphone versions.
I've used Art Rage. I bought the very first version and upgraded a couple of times. I have both the desktop version (one version below the most current version) and the tablet version. I've never been a big fan of the interface, it's much too "eye candy" slick for my taste, but the Art Rage brushes are fabulous if you like to paint from scratch. The tablet/smart phone version is just for fun because for me the screens are just too small to work on and I hate zooming in.

I haven't used the program a lot, but it does have some nice features. I would probably use it more if I didn't own Corel Painter. Here is an experimental seascape I did some years ago using the Pastels in Art Rage.

artrageseascapesm.jpg

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
Very pretty Elaina!

I have had Art Rage for quite some time, but mostly forget that I have it. It can produce some nice stuff............great for making glitter.

KimR.

Staff member
This is beautiful! I admire anyone who can draw and paint!

nightshadow

Premier Senior Member
Thank you for the compliments ladies. :)

I've seen art produced with Art Rage that can put real life paintings to shame, but don't expect anything that sophisticated out of me. ;)

Btw, if anyone is interested in the program, not only do they have trial downloads, there are also a lot of free tutorials on the web site. Like Robin, I've had the program for quite some time but I too forget I have it. There is never enough time is there?

Diane's Art

Esteemed Senior Member
The painting is beautiful Elaina!!

nightshadow;n3074 said:
I've used Art Rage. I bought the very first version and upgraded a couple of times. I have both the desktop version (one version below the most current version) and the tablet version. I've never been a big fan of the interface, it's much too "eye candy" slick for my taste, but the Art Rage brushes are fabulous if you like to paint from scratch. The tablet/smart phone version is just for fun because for me the screens are just too small to work on and I hate zooming in.

I haven't used the program a lot, but it does have some nice features. I would probably use it more if I didn't own Corel Painter. Here is an experimental seascape I did some years ago using the Pastels in Art Rage.

Chrissy

I may have to wait a couple of weeks before I start playing as my holidays is only 7 days away now and things will get quite busy over the next few days, but I will be sure to share here when I do

Robyn

Administrator and Grand Pooh-Bah
Staff member
I must admit I rarely use it - I haven't had the patience to look into it to deeply though. :eek:

Savi

Ok this has inspired me to get art rage out again and try some stuff, if I produce anything half decent I will show you...if not....well, lol I think you know what will happen!