QUESTION Why are we scrapbooking and what really is current scrapbooking?

When I first started paper scrapping it was definitely about memory keeping. And sometimes, it still is for me. Even if it's only to remind myself of something. But sometimes it is just because I enjoy it. And sometimes I use art journaling to express emotion or sharing sentiments I think are important. I still mostly use my own photos but occasionally I'll use something that is a stock photo.

I used to be one of those people who thought if you weren't actually doing memory keeping, it was really scrapbooking. I definitely looked down on fantasy pages and had never even heard of art journaling. Now I love all of it. Memory pages, ATCs, fantasy pages, art journaling. Whatever I want to scrap at the moment.

I used to be one of those people who thought if you weren't actually doing memory keeping, it was really scrapbooking. I definitely looked down on fantasy pages and had never even heard of art journaling. Now I love all of it. Memory pages, ATCs, fantasy pages, art journaling. Whatever I want to scrap at the moment.
I know just what you mean Cindy. I think I was one of those people too. Now, like you, I appreciate all different forms of scrapbooking, digital art, fantasy etc. etc. Whatever makes you happy!

1. I'm creating a place-holder here as I wish to comment but its a late hour for me right now and need to regenerate what brain cells I still have functioning at my late age. :cautious:

Edited to add:

I can relate to everything (and agree to most) you've brought up in your post.

I think the bottom line is that there's been a slow divergence from the traditional scrapbook making. The true definition of scrapbook making is as you've said:

...recording personal memories in a fun, interesting and artistic way. Something to be kept and possibly handed down through the generations....

When it became doable digitally, it opened up a whole new & convenient (and less costly) way to preserve our memories and family/personal histories and, I think, opened doors to our inner creative abilities that we may not previously been tapped into. So that then moved away from memory keeping and on to creating pretty images and crafts. Maybe it's time to come up with a new term for those creations that divert from scrapbook making (maybe "Creative Imagery") and @Robyn if your goal is to redefine and pinpoint a finer definition of what Just Art is about, maybe you'll need to consider having it have two separate sections/departments. One catering to scrapbook making and beginners and another to expanding your creativity away from the old and onto something new. (I guess it all boils down to what your overall goal is for your site).

With regards to AI creations - this is a whole new can of worms. I've many thoughts on it; way too many to neatly and concisely package into words here; however, I will say this:

1. I agree that our pages do start to look the same when using the same AI images over and over, most especially when they are people/faces. Makes it difficult to stand uniquely apart from others (making things boring). In this way, I don't think AI created characters should ever be used in scrapbook making unless it's used like a sticker or something to highlight a theme for your memory.
  2. However, like anything else, AI text-to-image creating has a learning curve (a journey on which I am on currently - and loving it) and the more I learn, the more I can see how things AI created might be used in scrapbook or other digital art projects.
  3. There was mention of poorly done hands, etc. with AI. While this is often true, there are some AI text-to-image sites that are better than others and/or have ways to minimize these problems.
OK, I think I've blathered enough. If you've not dozed off yet :sleep: then I hope my thoughts are helpful in some way. :unsure:

Last edited:
I like AI for scrapbooking/digital art purposes mainly because sometimes I can't find an image that fits my purpose and it fills that gap. And coming up with prompts takes creativity in itself. In saying that, AI is pretty scary looking at it as a whole. Seems that anything can be used by bad players these days.

1. I'm creating a place-holder here as I wish to comment but its a late hour for me right now and need to regenerate what brain cells I still have functioning at my late age. :cautious:

Edited to add:

I can relate to everything (and agree to most) you've brought up in your post.

I
OK, I think I've blathered enough. If you've not dozed off yet :sleep: then I hope my thoughts are helpful in some way. :unsure:
Rose - I always like hearing from you and you always present interesting view points, too ! ♥

I like AI for scrapbooking/digital art purposes mainly because sometimes I can't find an image that fits my purpose and it fills that gap. And coming up with prompts takes creativity in itself. In saying that, AI is pretty scary looking at it as a whole. Seems that anything can be used by bad players these days.
Well bad players could always capture photos off the internet and "use them badly". I'm impressed with all y'all who can word the prompts so well ... mine ... well after a bit, my descriptive language isn't transferable into anything useable LOL

I started my journey of scrapbooking to preserve my family memories. I still do paper scrapbooking, but it is costly and time consuming. Since I started digital scrapbooking it has opened up a whole new way of being creative with my albums. Most pages that I design digitally I intend to use for my personal scrapbooks. Scrapbooking to me is a mix of both paper and digital. I prefer to use royalty free images when creating layouts that I post online. Digital scrapbooking allows me to be creative and learn new techniques. There are times that I create just for the fun of it. I usually save my designs so I can later edit them and use them in my personal albums if I wish. I have enjoyed your Lucky Dip challenge Robyn and would love to see it continue. Since I started at Just Art my digital scrapbooking has improved due to the challenges, and I have learned many techniques through the years. I have went from traditional scrapbooking to enjoying fantasy and other artistic styles using digital. As far as AI, I have mixed feelings. I have no problems with AI when it is used for good. I love that you can create from your own imagination and design beautiful art to use in scrapbooks or other crafts.

Back