Windows 11 ???

Betty Jo

My old computer was dying, so I had to buy a new one and my son installed it last week. The new computer came with Windows 11. Oh Dear, what a nightmare! Does anyone here use Windows 11? If so, how do you work around the fact that the folders offer no thumbnails, or way to see the content at a glance? With all my scrap graphics, it will take me ions to create a layout if I have to open each folder to find what I want. I've found a program called Windows Thumbnail Generator, is anyone using this? https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/tutorial/how-to-generate-folder-thumbnails-in-windows-11.html My son is my computer tech, so I'll have to check with him before installing the WTG, but was curious if anyone else has tried it yet and if it works okay.

I also had problems using the latest PS update on the new computer. I reverted back to older versions, but they didn't work right either. Not sure if it has to do with the new Windows or not. (I'm creative, but definitely not a computer Tech!) The Adobe rep that tried to help had me going around in circles and nothing worked. I kept digging online and finally found a solution for the newest updated version of PS. I had to uncheck Use Graphics Processor found in the preferences. The rep then told me that if I had to turn off the GPU, then I may have an OS problem or need an updated driver which my son will check into.
It took days to figure this all out, five exactly, but I finally managed my first layout with the new Windows and PS! Yay! :-l

Diane's Art

Esteemed Senior Member
I am glad you have this figured out with Windows 11 Betty. My computer is at the end of its life and I am having issues with it. I am concerned about moving to Windows 11 when I get a new computer.

Betty Jo

I am glad you have this figured out with Windows 11 Betty. My computer is at the end of its life and I am having issues with it. I am concerned about moving to Windows 11 when I get a new computer.
I totally understand, Diane. I had Windows 10 on the old computer, but used Classic Shell which converted it back to Windows 7, but Classic Sheel quit and doesn't make a program for Windows 11.:-N

Everything Erica

Challenge Host - May
I updated to windows 11 a few weeks ago, my pc does any windows updates autimatically. I've found a few frustrating changes, but not too many. For veiwing images I use Bridge which links to my Photshop software, my PS is an older version PS3 Extended and I think it came with Bridge. This is an amazingly easy to use add on, or stand alone I believe and you get to view most image extension that you can click and it takes you straight into PS. You can get the free download Bridge from Adobe. Down side of Bridge, for me anyway as I need to free up major space on my PC, is that it's a bit memory hungry. Hope this will help with your viewing issues :)

Betty Jo

Thanks for the info, @Everything Erica . I'm glad you're doing well with W11. Yes, I used bridge sometime ago, but found it to be memory hungry as you said. I have Windows 11 set so that I simply click on an image and it goes directly into PS. I have two external hard drives so keep my stuff backed up on those so it doesn't take so much room on my computer.

Last edited:

Everything Erica

Challenge Host - May
Thanks for the info, @Everything Erica . I'm glad you're doing well with W11. Yes, I used bridge sometime ago, but found it to be memory hungry as you said. I have Windows 11 set so that I simply click on an image and it goes directly into PS. I have to external hard drives so keep my stuff backed up on those so it doesn't take so much room on my computer.
I must get cleaning :)

Everything Erica

Challenge Host - May
I have about 6 EHD Betty Jo, all are full, I can't seem to resist buying them :) I have two that are passport size one is 1TB, and my latest one, last month is 2TB. I was pointed to a website call Mylio which is an image organiser, a paid 1 year freebie with my last Seagate 2tb ehd. Anybody used this software, I haven't had much time to try lately.

Betty Jo

I have about 6 EHD Betty Jo, all are full, I can't seem to resist buying them :) I have two that are passport size one is 1TB, and my latest one, last month is 2TB. I was pointed to a website call Mylio which is an image organiser, a paid 1 year freebie with my last Seagate 2tb ehd. Anybody used this software, I haven't had much time to try lately.
Oh my, that's a lot! My largest is a 2TB One Touch. I'm working on filling that one now. Interesting software, I'll have to look into that.

Robyn

Administrator
Staff member
I have Windows 11 on my new laptop. I have Windows 10 on my two main computers, one of which is eligible have to have the Windows 11 upgrade.

Windows 11 is okay I guess, but I'm not in a rush to upgrade on my PC. I guess I'm just used to using Windows 10 and because of that it's automatic to do certain things. With Windows 11, I find for me that it is not quite as intuitive.

Betty Jo

I have Windows 11 on my new laptop. I have Windows 10 on my two main computers, one of which is eligible have to have the Windows 11 upgrade.

Windows 11 is okay I guess, but I'm not in a rush to upgrade on my PC. I guess I'm just used to using Windows 10 and because of that it's automatic to do certain things. With Windows 11, I find for me that it is not quite as intuitive.
Thanks, Robyn, and welcome back! I'm getting more used to Window's 11, but it's still difficult at times. The fact there are no file "folder" photos to id the folders at a glance is still a pain, and the inability to just drag a photo into PS or a folder, is ridiculous. The Window 11 changes, coupled with all the problems with the newest PS, was just overwhelming to me all at once.

Jody

The Wanderer.
2022 Project 52 Challenge Host
I totally understand, Diane. I had Windows 10 on the old computer, but used Classic Shell which converted it back to Windows 7, but Classic Sheel quit and doesn't make a program for Windows 11.:-N
Oh no. I also use windows 10 in the classic shell. was hoping that when I have to go to 11 it would be the same.

Chickie

My old computer was dying, so I had to buy a new one and my son installed it last week. The new computer came with Windows 11. Oh Dear, what a nightmare! Does anyone here use Windows 11? If so, how do you work around the fact that the folders offer no thumbnails, or way to see the content at a glance? With all my scrap graphics, it will take me ions to create a layout if I have to open each folder to find what I want. I've found a program called Windows Thumbnail Generator, is anyone using this? https://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/13/tutorial/how-to-generate-folder-thumbnails-in-windows-11.html My son is my computer tech, so I'll have to check with him before installing the WTG, but was curious if anyone else has tried it yet and if it works okay.

I also had problems using the latest PS update on the new computer. I reverted back to older versions, but they didn't work right either. Not sure if it has to do with the new Windows or not. (I'm creative, but definitely not a computer Tech!) The Adobe rep that tried to help had me going around in circles and nothing worked. I kept digging online and finally found a solution for the newest updated version of PS. I had to uncheck Use Graphics Processor found in the preferences. The rep then told me that if I had to turn off the GPU, then I may have an OS problem or need an updated driver which my son will check into.
It took days to figure this all out, five exactly, but I finally managed my first layout with the new Windows and PS! Yay! :-l

I have Windows 11 on my new laptop. Was so disappointed about the file folders not showing previews. What I have been doing is making a copy of the kit preview jpg and naming it the same name as the kit so it appears next to the folder with the kit, if viewing by name. I have also thought of making a gang sheet for each designer, within their folder. It is all so time-consuming. I hope that MS fixes this. :(

Betty Jo

I have Windows 11 on my new laptop. Was so disappointed about the file folders not showing previews. What I have been doing is making a copy of the kit preview jpg and naming it the same name as the kit so it appears next to the folder with the kit, if viewing by name. I have also thought of making a gang sheet for each designer, within their folder. It is all so time-consuming. I hope that MS fixes this. :(
That's a good idea about the preview next to the folder! I now have a folder of previews in each designer's main folder, and the previews are named the same as the kit folders. I just look through the previews, doesn't take long in Extra Large view, find what I want and then go to the folder. But, having them right next to the folder sounds even better. Thanks for sharing. I've read that they plan to change this back to the old "folder" way, so many people are complaining, but we'll see . . .